The last 950 years of music will be celebrated in Richmond this weekend as part of the events to mark the birth of the town.
Performances will be held at Richmond Castle, the Town Hall and Market Place.
Marcia McLuckie, from Celebrate 950, said: “It’s a chance to enjoy Richmond Castle as never before with the pop-up medieval tavern in the castle keep provided by Richmond Brewing Company, music and tales from the medieval minstrels, and tasty treats from Granny’s Kitchen.”
Soak up the sounds with this line-up:
- Trouvere – Richmond’s own medieval minstrels with lively music on bagpipes and drums, plus tales at the Tavern.
- Tom Fool – the silliest man in town. Returning to Richmond following his popular performance in May.
- The Ran Tanners – banging sounds on traditional instruments from Georgian and Victorian times.
- Norman Invasion, playing folk music from England and abroad, using clarinets, melodeons and bagpipes and singing along to their great music.
- Dante Ferrara, the Elizabethan musician with his hurdy-gurdy and other instruments.
- Rhythm and Shoes Dance Academy bringing us the Charleston – everybody’s favourite!
- Aelfwine – medieval music to chill out to.
- Fourum – Richmond’s own amazing folk band with songs of Richmond and Swaledale – a real musical history.
- Leeds Waits – Tudor and Jacobean music on some intriguing instruments.
Saturday, October 9, 11am – 4pm
- Venue: The Tavern in Richmond Castle Keep Trouvere, The Ran Tanners and Tom Fool with music, tales and general foolishness. Drinks from the Tavern at the Keep and culinary delights from Granny’s Kitchen.
- Venue: Richmond Town Hall, 1pm – 4pm. Dante Ferrara and Norman Invasion
- Venue: Richmond Market Place 11am – 4pm. Trouvere, the Ran Tanners and Dante Ferrara and his hurdy-gurdy playing in turn.
Sunday, October 10, 11am – 4pm
- Venue: The Tavern in Richmond Castle Keep. Trouvere, The Ran Tanners and Tom Fool, joined in the morning by the dancers of the Rhythm & Shoes Academy and in the afternoon by Aelfwine
- Venue: Richmond Town Hall 11am – 4pm. The Leeds Waits, Norman Invasion and Richmond’s own Fourum
- Venue: Richmond Market Place, 11am-4pm. Tom Fool, The Ran Tanners and Trouvere
No admission charges for Town Hall and Market Place, plus Richmond and Catterick residents have free admission over the weekend.
For details click here.