The A66 has finally reopened in both directions following a vehicle fire.
The fire was in a large goods vehicle carrying waste batteries.
The vehicle had stopped in a lay-by near Gilling West.
The road was shut between Scotch Corner and Bowes until this morning.
Around 20 firefighters from North Yorkshire and County Durham attended the blaze which was reported at 3.45pm yeterday.
Public Health England was informed due to smoke being generated by the fire.
— National Highways: Yorkshire (@HighwaysYORKS) June 7, 2022
⛔️ A66 Scotch Corner ⛔️
For anyone using the #A66 towards Durham/North Yorks…
— Cumbria Road Watch (@CumbriaRdWatch) June 7, 2022
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and rescue Service said: “A large goods vehicle carrying waste batteries is currently well alight in a lay by.
“Fire crews from Richmond, Darlington, Barnard Castle and Bedale have responded and are tackling the fire with hose reels.
“Police have closed both carriageways and Public Health England informed as some smoke is being generated with the nearest village being Gilling West.”