Carperby beat Catterick Garrison to stay in title hunt

The race for the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League title looks increasingly like a three-horse race, with Hawes, Unicorn and Carperby starting to pull away as the season reaches its halfway point.

On Saturday, Carperby ensured they stayed in the hunt with a 2-1 win over Catterick Garrison.

The first half was even with both teams giving as good as they got, but Carperby managed to go into half-time with a one goal lead after Matty Bradley headed Scott Lamberts in-swinging cross passed the keeper.

Catterick defender Stephen Fleming could only smash the ball into his own net when the ball was on, or already over the line, depending on your view.

Catterick thought they should have had a penalty when Jez Mortimer was put though one-on-one with the Carperby stopper.

The pair collided, causing Mortimer a serious knee injury, however the ref waved away claims for a spot kick following the challenge.

The second half was another combative affair, and Carperby went down to ten men when goal scorer Bradley over ran the ball when driving forward and dived in to try and win the ball back, but Gavin Rudd got there before the Carperby man and Bradley ended up taking him out.

Catterick started upping the pressure but the home side looked dangerous on the break and managed to get a two goal cushion when Sam Lambert latched onto a Tim Weatherill through ball and flicked it past the on rushing keeper to score.

Catterick continued to push forward and pulled a goal back with five minutes to go, but Carperby held on for the three points.

The result closed the gap on Hawes and Unicorn who drew in their top of the table clash.

Both teams had few chances in the first half, with Hawes’ best opportunity falling to Ryan Alderson who put the ball over the bar from six yards.

The second half continued to be very tight, with Dan Richardson managing to miss the target from two yards for Hawes and Unicorn hitting the post late in the game.

Elsewhere, Leyburn banished the disappointment of last week’s derby defeat to beat Askrigg 4-1 on a claggy pitch at the Wensleydale School.

Alan Middleton scored first for the visitors from long range, but Will Hewson netted minutes later with a smart finish to level.

Leyburn piled on the pressure after the break and two goals from teenage striker Aiden Leahy gave the home side some breathing space.

Askrigg failed to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot when Alfie Hall was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, with Jack Davison making a fine save down to his left.

The goal of the game was then scored by Harry Hill who danced through the Askrigg defence before slotting the ball in the net after being asked to play up front when his normal position is defence.

The final game of the day saw Spennithorne continue their good run with a 5-2 win away at Richmond Town Academy.

Two goals from George Shaw and one each from Richard Jarvis and Jake Gamble-Schofield gave Spenni a 4-0 lead at half time.

Finlay Tulip netted twice in two minutes after the break, but a goal from James Smith ensured the visitor left with the points.



Carperby 2-1 Catterick Garrison

Hawes 0-0 Unicorn

Leyburn 4-1 Askrigg

Richmond Town Academy 2-5 Spennithorne



Askrigg v Reeth

Catterick Garrison v Richmond Town Academy

Leyburn v Hawes

Spennithorne v Carperby