Carperby beat Hawes to make North Riding Cup semi-final

The Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League will have a representative in the semi-finals of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup this season.

Despite manager Paul Dinsdale and several key players being away on a skiing holiday, Carperby managed to overcome Wensleydale rivals Hawes to progress in the competition.

The opening minutes provided good chances for both teams, but Hawes struck first through a Tommy Calvert free-kick that nestled in the corner.

The second half kicked off much like the first, with both teams full of aggression and energy. With 60 minutes on the clock a looping Carperby cross was met by Sam Lambert on the edge of the area, however he was brought down by a defender.

Tom Barley stepped up and placed the ball in the corner despite keeper Jim Guy getting a touch.

With five minutes to go, Hawes thought they had done enough to win the game when an in-swinging free-kick found Kory Spink and he fired home.

However, as Hawes tried to see out the match, James Dent pinched the ball deep in his own half. He linked up with Mathew Weatherald who moved the ball forward to Josh Brown, who in turn found Edward Tiplady. His ball into the box evaded the defenders and reached Lambert, who took a touch before finishing.

The game was to be settled by penalties. Both keepers made good saves but Carperby progressed after John Pickard reacted quickly to save Hawes’ fifth spot kick.

They will play either Guisborough Town Reserves or Bishopthorpe White Rose, who play their semi-final on Saturday.

Richmond Town Reserves and Richmond Mavericks, who play in the North Riding and Wearside leagues respectively this season, also made the quarter finals, but both suffered narrow defeats.

Back in the league, Unicorn stay top after overcoming Leyburn 3-1.

Leyburn started brightly kicking up the slope. Top scorer Will Hewitson was put one on one with the keeper but shot wide.

Unicorn took the lead when Shayne Ketley tapped in at the far post, but Leyburn were soon back level when Alex Goldie set up Riley Girgan for another tap-in.

With Leyburn kicking down the hill in the second half, hopes were high of a good result but Unicorn seized control when Tom Keegan scored an acrobatic overhead kick.

Keegan then doubled his tally with a powerful strike from just inside the box as Leyburn pushed for an equaliser.

Catterick Garrison had a more comfortable afternoon, beating Richmond Town Academy 6-1.

First half goals from Jake Oakes and Jamie Chessell were added to by Connor Dagnall, Tim Holland and Alex Boyle, who got a brace.

William Jones netted for Town.

In the remaining game of the day, Spennithorne continued their fine form with a 5-1 win away at Reeth.

George Shaw got two, while Tom Partridge, Jack Lancaster and Adam Lane also got on the scoresheet.

Reeth’s goal was scored by Lewis Johnston.


Results – 3.2.24


Catterick Garrison 6-1 Richmond Town Academy

Leyburn 1-3 Unicorn

Reeth 1-5 Spennithorne and Harmby

North Riding Cup

Carperby 2-2 Hawes (Carperby win 4-3 on penalties)


Fixtures – 10.2.24

Askrigg v Leyburn

Richmond Town Academy v Hawes

Catterick Garrison v Carperby

Unicorn v Spennithorne