Carperby claim first win in two years while Unicorn hammer Hawes

Carperby hadn’t won in nearly two years before Saturday, but a 4-2 victory at home to Reeth meant the drinks were flowing at the Wheatsheaf on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors went 1-0 up with a solid strike into the far bottom corner in the first 15 minutes from Sam Collier-Gent

But Carpeby responded with a headed goal by Dave Fullerton from a corner.

Luke Moreland then scored from close range to make it 2-1.

Carpeby kept pressing but couldn’t find the net, and were punished for not taking chances.

A good strike from outside the box by Andrew Calvert beat the keeper just going in under the crossbar.

The second half started with good pressure from Reeth for the first ten minutes, however no chances were created.

After finding their rhythm again, Carpeby received a freekick at the edge of the box down the side of the pitch.

John Pickard put it straight into the top far corner with a tremendous strike.

Blue Taylor then whipped a ball across the box straight onto Luke Moreland’s foot for his second of the day.

Reeth went down to ten men when Andrew Calvert saw red. The two teams will meet again on Saturday!

After three straight defeats for Academy in recent weeks, the trip to Mavs was perhaps everyone’s home banker this weekend.

But after beating Mavs in each of the previous two seasons, Academy were hoping for an upset and it looked on the cards for most of the game.

The first half was an even affair with both sides having limited chances. Academy took the lead on 26 minutes when Carnegie Brown played in Ryan Hart to do what he does best, before James Kelly equalised.

Academy upped their game in the second period and had good chances to take the lead before Mavs scored late through Andrew Pritchard.

Academy continued to press and Lewington had good chances to get the draw they felt they deserved but was unable to finish.

Richmond Buck beat Spennithorne 3-0 at Harmby to give the visitors back to back wins.

Josh Wooff gave Buck the lead on 15 minutes when he latched on to his own keeper’s kick and buried the ball across the opposite keeper.

Buck took a 2-0 lead into half time thanks to a Jacob Tate cannon ball into the roof of the net from 20 yards. His non-celebration was likened to a famous Cantona moment.

Buck weren’t comfortable as Spenni were a constant threat. That was until supersub Matty Raw headed in from a Micheal Ingram corner to send the points Richmond bound.

Liam Ryan earned a clean sheet with a number of saves when strikers were bearing down on him.

Elsewhere, Hawes’ disappointing season continues after they were battered 9-0 by league leaders Unicorn.

Shaun Charlton and Mark Sims both got hat-tricks, while Ryan Crowther, Tom Keegan and Craig Swainston scored the others.

Colburn and Catterick played out a tight 3-3 draw.

Colburn were ahead at half time through a Joe Woodall goal.

Gary Hutchinson made it 2-0, but Catterick came back with Liam Walker scoring a penalty, and Scott Turner scoring soon afterwards.

Jeremy Mortimer then put Catterick in front before Joe Woodall got his second with ten minutes to go to equalize.


Carperby 4-2 Reeth

Colburn Town 3-3 Catterick Garrison

Richmond Mavericks 2-1 Richmond Town Academy

Spennithorne and Hamby 0-3 Richmond Buck Inn

Unicorn 9-0 Hawes United


North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup

Thirsk Falcons Reserves v Richmond Mavericks

Catterick Garrison v Easingwold Town

Unicorn v Sleights


Hawes United v Spennithorne

Leyburn v Colburn

Reeth v Carperby

Richmond Town Academy v Richmond Buck Inn