Carperby end 28-game losing streak with draw over Catterick Garrison

After a remarkable 28-game losing run, Carperby finally got a point on the board on Saturday when they drew 2-2 at home to Catterick Garrison.

The visitors no doubt thought they were in for a comfortable win when they went in at half time two up following goals from Scott Turner.

But Paul Stephenson set the tone for Carperby from the second half kick off by hitting the bar from the half way line.

The home side created a number of chances and finally found the net through veteran striker John Pickard.

A frustrated Catterick then went down to ten men late into the second half when Neil Wright was given his marching orders.

This prompted Carperby to further press. The home side seized the moment to go ahead when a Paul Stephenson corner curled over the line.

The home side cling on and celebrated wildly with their first point since February 2017.

Unicorn’s great start to the season is now well and truly over after they were beaten 2-1 by ever-improving Leyburn Town.

Leyburn got off to a bad start when a slight wardrobe malfunction saw them wearing half of one strip and half of the other, sporting a vibrant orange and blue.

The game was rather steady to start with with more chances dropping Leyburns’ way in the early stages, forcing Unicorns goal keeper to make some good early saves.

The game was reasonably even up until late in the first half when Unicorn started to apply more pressure on the Leyburn goalkeeper.

The visitor took the lead when a 40-yard wind-assisted free kick from Paul Brown slipped through the Leyburn goalkeeper’s hands.

Disappointed to be 1-0 down at half time, Leyburn came out in the second half with more intent and created a number of chances.

The home side finally pulled one back in the 52nd minute when Lee Davison knocked the ball around his opponent and thundered home a great strike from 25 yards out.

Leyburn started to take control of the game but Unicorn’s direct approach was a constant threat with their strikers squandering a handful of good chances.

In the 65th minute Leyburn put together their best move of the match, with slick passing through the midfield creating a great chance for Callum Rankin who was unlucky to hit the crossbar. The ball then bounced to George Shaw whose shot was blocked on the line, but James Stanger was there to apply the finish and give Leyburn the 2-1 advantage .

Leyburn defended their lead well towards the end of the match with two goal line clearances in the last ten minutes to secure the three points

Spennithorne beat Richmond Buck 3 -1 in the Medals Shield.

Despite having a few lads missing and out with injuries, Spenni went in to the game on a two game unbeaten run and were high on confidence.

The home side were the better team in the first half and took the lead after just three minutes when James Smith broke through the defence on the right wing and pulled it back to set up Jack Crook for a clinical tap in.

After a few raised voices at half time Buck were straight back in the game at 1-1 after a long ball from keeper Liam Ryan became the perfect pass for Josh Wooff to take a touch and then bury into the bottom corner, route one football at its best.

Buck then had a 20 minute spell of control and dominance but didn’t take their chances.

Liam Ryan suffered a suspected broken nose and the game was stopped to stem the blood which slowed Buck’s momentum.

Crook got a second tap in when Spenni sub David Hitchin turned his man and played a through ball to make it 2-1.

Hitchin then scored on 80 minutes from a suspected cross which hit the far post and then in off the near post to seal the game.

Richmond Academy hosted Hawes in the cup and both sides had depleted squads due to injuries and players being cup tied.

With both keepers unavailable, Tyler Spence offered to go in nets for Academy despite breaking his ankle only four weeks ago.

Both sides struggled for any rhythm in the first half with the only notable chance falling to Hawes with Spence making a good save from a headed effort.

The Academy back three of Ornsby, Davidson and Stead played extremely well and Hawes struggled to create any real chances in the second period.

Academy took the lead on 66 minutes when Gredziak got to the byeline and decided it was time for some showboating with an audacious rabona cross which Hart finished on the volley.

Hawes left one man back as they searched for an equaliser which left acres of space for Hart and Donoghue in the Academy attack.

Hart went clean through and when a simple square pass would have provided a tap in for his strike partner instead decided to chip the keeper and cleared the bar by 20 yards.

With two minutes left it was Donoghues turn as he went clear, with Hart square he also opted for the shot, narrowly pulling his effort wide.

In the other cup game, Richmond Mavericks had a comfortable 6-0 win over Reeth.

James Kelly got three, while Kalem Stanger got two and Ryan Howe one.



Carperby 2-2 Catterick Garrison

Leyburn 2-1 Unicorn

Medals Shield

Richmond Mavericks 6-0 Reeth

Richmond Town Academy 1-0 Hawes

Spennithorne and Harmby 3-1 Richmond Buck Inn

Fixtures 27.10.18

Colburn v Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn v Catterick Garrison

Richmond Town Academy v Carperby Rovers

Spennithorne and Harmby v Reeth

Unicorn v Richmond Buck Inn