Carperby reach North Riding Cup final

Carperby Rovers celebrate their semi-final win.

The Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League will have a representative in the final of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup this year.

Carperby Rovers last reached this stage of the county-wide contest in 2004 and will again compete for the honours this year when they play Edgehill from Scarborough on April 10.

They reached the final by beating Guisborough Town Reserves in torrential conditions.

Guisborough took the lead early in the first half when they got a penalty after Michael Dent was adjudged to have brought down their forward.

Carperby grew into the game as the first half went on and looked dangerous with Dent breaking forward on a number of occasions and Sam Lambert coming close from a tight angle.

But it was 1-0 to Guisborough at half-time. As the rain continued to fall, the conditions seemed to suit the home side more as they had the slicker play, with Matty Bradley going close when his long-range effort crashed back off the bar.

Carperby finally got the equaliser when Lambert’s effort wasn’t held by the keeper and substitute Ed Tiplady was on hand to ensure the ball went over the line.

As the final whistle approached Carperby found the winner their home supporters craved when a through ball fell to Lambert to finish into the corner.

Carperby held out for a victory that sees a Wensleydale Football League team into the final for only the second time since Rovers were last there in 2004.

Back in the league, the game of the day was another 4-4 draw between Catterick Garrison and Leyburn.

Garrison got off to a strong start, Jonny Holmes scoring with a header from a corner after just five minutes.

Jack Close headed in to level for Leyburn shortly afterwards, with Ben Parlour then firing home after 20 minutes to give the Wensleydale team the lead.

This was extended soon after the break when Jack Crook getting a third and Will Hewson stepping up to score from the spot after he had been felled in the box.

Catterick pulled a goal back when Stephen Fleming scored a fine long-range effort that gave Jack Davison in the Leyburn goal no chance.

Riley Harrison then got a third for Catterick after Leyburn had lost influential centre half Alfie Hall to injury.

The visitors were further hampered when they were reduced to ten men following a straight red for a reckless challenge and then had a player sin binned for dissent.

It was no surprise when Catterick levelled through Alex Boyle but were disappointed in the final minutes when the ball fell to Maciej Nuprejczyk six yards out, but he blasted over the bar.

Elsewhere, Unicorn had a routine 4-0 win away at Askrigg while Hawes continued their fine form with a 12-2 victory over Reeth.

Tom Calvert and Kory Spink both got hat-tricks while Luke Wilkinson got two.

The other goals were shared by brothers Brandon and Macauley Acton, as well as Stephen Moffitt and Jordan Iveson.


Results – 2.3.24

North Riding Cup

Carperby 2-1 Guisborough Town Reserves


Richmond Town Academy0-4 Unicorn

Leyburn 4-4 Catterick Garrison

Reeth 2-12 Hawes


Fixtures – 9.3.24


Unicorn v Spennithorne

Dales Cup

Catterick Garrison v Hawes

Leyburn v Dalton Athletic

Richmond Town Academy v Askrigg

Streetlam Farmers v Carperby Rovers