Catterick and Hawes still to drop a point

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Two teams are yet to drop a point in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League.

Catterick Garrison continued their fine start to the season with a 7-4 win at home to Spennithorne.

Garrison took the lead in the first minute when Damian Hargreaves flicked the ball into Jez Mortimer’s path, who pulled the trigger from 20 yards.

A minute later it was 1-1 as Spenni broke and talented teenager Maciej Nuprejczyk peeled away into space to smash home.

More Garrison pressure told with the lively Josh Pettler drove past his man on the left and crossed for Matty Leaf. His first effort was blocked by a combination of keeper and defender on the line. But neither could do anything as he hooked home the rebound for a 2-1 lead.

Spenni then took the lead through quick goals from Nuprejczyk and Jack Crook, before Pettler pulled Catterick level before the break when he found the top corner from 25 yards.

After seeing a goal chalked off for offside, Jake Oakes picked the ball up again and let fly from 30 yards to put Garrison bacxk in the lead.

Kalam Stanger then missed  from the penalty spot, before another effort from Pettler extended Catterick’s lead.

It was soon six when a free-kick from debutant John Peart found its way to Gavin Rudd, who smashed home a right foot volley.

Spenni broke after Nuprejczyk managed to squeeze a shot in at the back post for his hat-trick before Oakes completed the scoring.

Elsewhere, Hawes beat Reeth 5-0 with  hat-trick from Tom Calvert and two from Daniel Richardson.

Carperby and Richmond Town Reserves played out a very competitive game which ended in a 2-2 draw.

The visitors took the lead when the Carperby defence failed to clear a ball across the box and the Richmond forward stabbed the ball home.

Both sides had some good play before Carperby equalised five minutes before half-time when Paul Stephenson’s in-swinging free-kick was headed into the corner by Michael Dent.

The second half continued to be end to end, with Town again taking the lead when the ball was headed home by Brandon Bishop.

But Carperby got level again when Stephenson hit a teasing free-kick for 35 yards which eluded everyone and bounced into the top corner.

Richmond then got the ascendancy when the excellent Andrew Reynolds collided with a Town forward when through on goal which saw a free kick to Richmond and a red card to the Carperby centre back.

Both teams could have won it late on when John Pickard twice saved well from Richmond forwards, before Stephenson hit the post with the last kick of the game.

Richmond Mavericks were 4-1 up at half-time in their game against Unicorn thanks to two goals from Wayne Gredziak and one each from Owen Kelly and Joe Carruthers.

However, a combination of missed chances and “daft errors” meant the game finished 4-4.

Unicorn’s goals were scored by Tom Sweeney, who got two, Liam Reeves and Shayne Ketley.

League results

Carperby 202 Richmond Town Reserves

Catterick Garrison 7-4 Spennithorne

Reeth 0-5 Hawes

Unicorn 5-5 Richmond Mavericks

Fixtures – 29.10.22

All league

Carperby v Catterick Garrison

Reeth v Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks v Askrigg

Spennithorne v Hawes