Catterick Garrison beat Colburn to go top

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

For the second season in a row Catterick Garrison Football Centre are the early pace setters.

This report is sponsored by:


This week they put four past rivals Colburn without reply to make it four wins on the bounce.

With both teams missing players it proved to be Catterick’s squad depth that would prove vital.

A gloomy day in Catterick was brightened by a blistering start by the Garrison.

Catterick saw an early Neil Jenks Wright header go just wide.

Jez Mortimer almost charged down a Jamie Harrison back pass that the excellent Karl Latcham did just enough to block with his feet.

Catterick took the  lead after eight minutes. Colburn switched off to a pre-planned short corner between Jez and Tim Holland. They worked the ball to the edge and Holland’s cross was volleyed home by Steven Files from ten yards out.

Confusion at the back for Colburn led to Jenks getting presented with a one-on-one with Latcham. The Colburn stopper was out with lightening speed but his block only fell to Holland 40 yards out on the left. He took a touch before cooling lobbing the ball left footed over everyone and into the net for 2-0.

Goal of the game was to follow shortly afterwards. Jenks did well to hold the ball up and found Jez in space. He skipped inside two before unleashing a glorious curling effort into the far corner from 25 yards for 3-0.

At the other end a Colburn attack was kept out by a combination of Tim Bishop and eventually Andrew Constantine hooking off his line.

Another Colburn chance fell to Gary Hutchinson.Having found space in the box he couldn’t finish, slicing wide from ten yards.

Colburn came forward in the second half looking to get back in the game and Catterick threatened to punish them on the break.

One full stretch save from Latcham had everyone applauding as he tipped Jez’s strike around the post one handed. In almost an injustice to Latcham himself a goal kick was awarded.

Colburn almost got a conciliation at the other end but after Bishop had forced an attacker wide, Constantine was again on hand to hook one off the line as it was bouncing goalwards.

With ten minutes remaining Catterick finally beat Latcham with Stephen Flemo Fleming’s overhead kick. However, Flemo was adjudged to have strayed offside so the goal didn’t stand.

It would be the wingers teaming up that would finish the scoring. After Deeney had out stripped the defence for pace, he hung a cross to the back post where Holland had made his run and thrashed home a volley from 12 yards.

The win meant Catterick over took Colburn at the top.

The Unicorn had to pick themselves up off the floor after the last few weeks.

This week they came out punching and caught Richmond Town Academy sleeping and soon licking their wounds.

The visitors went ahead when Paul Brown’s free kick was met by the glancing head of Reeves and the ball found the bottom corner.

Unicorn went 2-nil up following a long pass from Nick Marshall with the outside of the boot which dropped behind the defence.

Reeves beat the out-rushing keeper to the ball and headed over him then poked into an empty net.

It was 3-0 when n the second half Stuart Brown’s ball down the line fell to Rory Atkinson making the run

After rounding the keeper he coolly finished from a tight angle.

Carperby are rock bottom after three games.

It was still 0-0 at half time in their game against Richmond Buck, but the floodgates soon after the break, Mark Swanwick getting a hat-trick, Ryan Howe coming off the bench to get a couple and Danny Allen and Jacob Tate both getting a goal a piece.

The first half of the game between Reeth and Spennithorne was lively, despite no gals being scored.

Visitors Spenni went one up on 65 minutes, breaking down the left and Scott Lambert finishing well.

They took a  2-0 lead after 81 minutes,with a rising shot from the edge of the six yard box by George Shaw despite the attention of several defenders.

Reeth’s reply was too little, too late, as Steven Bainbridge was pushed forward from defence and glanced a header into the far corner of the net from a free kick with two minutes to go.

It was not not enough and the game finished 2-1 to the visitors.

Elsewhere, Richmond Mavericks went four up with goals from Ian Smurthwaite, Mike Layfield, Graeme Love,and Danny Shoulder.

Leyburn fought back with goals from Ryan Alderson, Kalem Stanger and Sam Lane, but it was not enough and the game finished 4-3 to Mavs.