Catterick Garrison extend lead after rivals draw

A stalemate between two title contenders meant Catterick Garrison extended their lead at the top of the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League on Saturday.

Catterick pummelled Reeth 14-1, although it took the visitors 20 minutes to break the deadlock, when new boy Mike Wai collected a pass on the right and pulled it back for Josh Pettler to finish in the corner.

Three minutes later, Jake Oakes also found the corner after his first attempt was blocked, with Jez Mortimer getting his first soon after.

It was 4-0 on 33 minutes when a lovely through ball by Jaime Hunt sent Oakes away. He unselfishly put it on a plate for Pettler to grab his second.

Before the first half was finished two more goals for Mortimer gave him his hat-trick, with Pettler also getting his third and Oakes rifling home from the edge of the box for his second.

It was more of the same in the second half with goals from Stephen Fleming, Wai and new signing Connor Dagnall, while Oakes also got two more, including a spectacular long-range effort.

Reeth, who netted through Callum Haggie, also scored an own goal.

Hawes and Richmond Town Reserves had to settle for a share of the points after drawing 1-1.

Sean Thompson put Town ahead after he poked home amid a goalmouth scramble.

Hawes were pressing hard in the second half but were finding it hard to get past the outstanding Richmond keeper.

The home side thought they had equalised on 70 minutes when Luke Wilkinson hit a screamer, however the ball cannoned back off the crossbar.

Hawes finally drew level shortly before the final whistle when Wilkinson converted a penalty after Ben Fawcett had been upended in the box.

Carperby ran out comfortable winners despite valiant efforts from home side Askrigg in their derby game.

The home side could have taken the lead early when they got a penalty, but Pickard saved from Steven Teasdale who hit it straight down the middle.

Carperby then took the lead after clever play from Michael Dent put in Sam Lambert to score.

Lambert then turned provider a few minutes later when he held the ball up before playing in Tom Barley to finish well.

Carperby got a third before half-time when Lambert got his second with a left footed finish into the corner after a scramble.

Carperby continued to press in the second half, but Askrigg put in a fantastic shift using the small pitch to deny Carperby a lot of space.

The home side then got a goal back when Carperby failed to clear and Richard Sunter stabbed the ball home. Carperby got a forth when Michael Dent was fouled in the box, but picked himself up to slot the penalty into the bottom corner.

Spennithorne managed to hold Richmond Mavericks to 0-0 at the break in their game, only for Mavs to score four second-half goals without reply.

Owen Kelly got two, while James Kelly and Reuben Bainbridge also netted.


Results – 18.2.23

Askrigg 1-4 Carperby

Hawes 1-1 Richmond Town Reserves

Reeth 1-14 Catterick Garrison

Spennithorne 0-4 Richmond Mavericks


Fixtures – 25.2.23

Askrigg v Reeth

Catterick Garrison v Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks v Richmond Town Reserves

Spennithorne v Hawes