Catterick Garrison feel aggrieved as title hopes suffer with loss to Richmond Mavericks

The games are coming thick and fast for teams in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League as the season draws to an exciting conclusion.

Catterick Garrison’s title challenge faltered on Saturday with a 4-3 loss at home to Richmond Mavericks, with the current league leaders feeling they were on the wrong end of a number of big calls from the referee.

Catterick had early chances and thought they should have had a penalty when Stephen Fleming went over in the box but it wasn’t given.

They do go ahead however after 24 minutes when a Matty Leaf cross was headed goalwards by Gavin Rudd.

The keeper palmed it away only for Damian Hargreaves to connect at the post.

Josh Pettler then converted from close range to make it 2-0 at the break.

Mavs started the second half strongly and pulled a goal back through a James Kelly free-kick.

They were soon back on terms when substitute Harry Banks scored from the spot after a Mavs played was judged to have been hauled down — a decision that Catterick again felt was very harsh.

Mavs were soon ahead from another James Kelly free-kick. And it was soon 4-3 when Banks got his second with a close range finish.

Catterick’s attempt to get back into the game were not helped when Matty Leaf was sin binned for sarcastically clapping when his side were given a free-kick.

The ten men of Catterick battled hard and scored to pull it back to 4-3 through Neil Wright after a good flowing moving.

There was still time for further controversy when Catterick felt a defender had handled in the box to deny a certain goal, but no penalty was forthcoming.

Unicorn pulled within a point of Catterick with a hard-fought win over Carperby, who were played just two days after their cup heroics.

Unicorn lost Stephen Butterworth to injury early on, then saw Carl Handley also go off midway through the first half, however they still took the lead.

Liam Reeves got the goal after a great ball from Bailey Proudlock was nicked in front of the Carperby reserve keeper Will Tiplady, and into the goal. Carperby had half chances but never really troubled David Mutch in the Unicorn goal.

Carperby were much improved in the second half, nearly equalising when Sam Lambert chased a through ball down and challenged the on-rushing keeper.

The ball broke to Tom Barley whose effort from a tight angle was cleared off the line by Paul Brown.

Carperby finally got their equaliser when James Metcalfe drilled home from the edge of the area into the bottom corner.

Unicorn refused to give up and despite Carperby continuing to put pressure on them, they got back in front when Reeves was brought down in the area, the striker picking himself up to finish the resulting penalty.

Carperby got back level when Michael Dent’s in -swinging corner was headed home by Scott Lambert.

Unicorn had to call on gaffer James Anderson in the second half as they lost Stuart Murray to injury.

And it was the away team that got the decisive goal as a ball was played through to Proudlock who slotted home into the corner from just inside the Carperby box.

Elsewhere, Hawes enjoyed a 4-1 win over local rivals Askrigg.

Jordan Iveson scored two and Ryan Alderson also netted, with Askrigg also conceding an own goal.

The visitor’s only goal was scored by Charlie Lancaster.

Two more games were squeezed in mid-week, with Richmond Town Reserves putting nine past a much-depleted Spennithorne without reply, and Hawes keeping their title hopes just about alive with a 5-3 win away at Mavs.

Results – all league

Richmond Mavericks 3-5 Hawes

Richmond Town Reserves 9-0 Spennithorne

Carperby 2-3 Unicorn

Catterick Garrison 3-4 Richmond Mavericks

Hawes 4-1 Askrigg

Fixtures – 8.4.23


Reeth v Carperby

Richmond Mavericks

Dales Cup

Richmond Town Reserves v Unicorn

Catterick Garrison v Askrigg