Catterick Garrison go top as Hawes lose to Leyburn

Catterick Garrison Football Centre took advantage of Richmond Mavericks not playing and moved to the top of the table with a 5-0 victory over Reeth.

This report is sponsored by:

Catterick started in control popping the passes off and switching play  to the wide areas, where Daniel Deeney and Tim Holland were putting in some tempting crosses, however, none were converted early on.

It was those two that would combine for the opener though when Holland’s ball found Deeney in space.

He brought the ball down well, shifted it to his right and took aim. The shot took a slight deflection that only took the ball further into the corner for a deserved lead.

Reeth were defending like dogs, throwing themselves at everything to block numerous goal mouth scrambles.

Andrew Constantine saw his header pinball off a defenders back and somehow go wide from close range.

Anything Reeth could muster in attack was clinically swept up by Steven Files, whose speed off his line and decision making was top draw.

The half-time whistle came with the away side 1-0 up and looking forward to changing ends and having some fresh grass to attack on.

A ten-minute spell of pressure ensued after the break, with chance after chance hitting the side netting of the Reeth goal. However it was to be a beauty of a goal to extend Catterick’s lead to two.

Stephen Fleming gathered the ball wide right and clipped in a great cross to Damian Hargreaves at the back post. He did well to control the ball over his shoulder and flick the ball to Wright. The Rhino in ballet pumps did the rest, losing the last defender and smashing the ball past the helpless keeper.

Then with quarter of the game remaining Lee ‘Big Mac’ Mckenny sent himself on to a now brown pitch for some minutes upfront where he couldn’t cost his team a goal.

After two shanked cross-field passes went astray, he wondered if he had made the right decision, however his confidence was restored when he collected the ball, jinked his way past a closing defender and found just enough room for a scuffed left foot finish from 20 yards.

The keeper could only watch as the ball trickled towards the corner, eventually bouncing off the post. Fleming followed in well to smash home the rebound.

Wright finished after receiving the ball from Liam Walker for a fourth Catterick goal.

The same two were involved for the fifth goal. Walker did well to leave two Reeth midfielders having to queue to get back in after he dropped the shoulder and went past both of them.

He then strode forward and let rip with a strike from all of 25 yards. The keeper got two hands to it, but only palmed it to the lurking Wright, who completed his second half hat trick with a low drive.

The final action saw Mckenny roll back the years with a defence splitting pass placed perfectly into the on rushing Walker’s stride. His touch took him into the box, but the keeper saved well with his feet to keep the score to five at the full time whistle.

While Catterick Garrison went top, Colburn are perhaps Mavs’ biggest title rivals after a 10-0 demolition of Carperby put them within five points of the Richmond team with a game in hand and the two teams still to play each other.

It was a miserable afternoon weather-wise on Saturday and Colburn’s first half football was in tune with the conditions.

Whether it was tiredness or complacency, there was little sign of the fluent attacking football that has served them so well this season.

The only football played in a disappointing first half came from Carperby, though Tim Bishop in Colburn’s goal was rarely extended.

The low point of this half was provided early on by Jamie Dempster. Tom Sweeney’s header came back off Carperby’s bar, falling to the feet of Dempster, a yard from goal with just the goalie to beat, yet he contrived to pass the ball straight to Ashley Wormwell, playing, apparently, his first game between the sticks.

Then after 40 minutes came the highlight of the half when Sweeney actually managed to score.

There were stern words from Colburn’s manager, Hammy Hamilton, plus a couple of changes, replacing the hapless Dempster with Shane Parkinson, and bringing Joe Woodall on in place of Tom Bentley.

Suddenly there was a whole new feel about the game. The directness of Woodall and Parkinson brought rewards almost immediately.

Four minutes after the break, Parkinson fed Sweeney to make it 2-0.

Three minutes later, Ashley McInerney lined up a corner from the right, which drifted over a couple of defenders into the net.

A further three minutes and it was Woodall’s turn to assist Sweeney to his third.

A minute later Sweeney repaid the favour, setting Woodall up for the fifth.

At this point, Hammy ratcheted up the pressure, bringing new recruit Luke McCormack on for his first game for Colburn this time around and giving the hard-working Gary Hutchison a rest.

McCormack’s qualities are well known, and it didn’t take him long to make his mark.

On 68 minutes, a Bishop clearance was headed on by Parkinson and McCormack slotted the ball home.

Seven minutes later another McInerney corner from the right was allowed to go right across the area by a static Carperby defence to the back post, where captain Luke Hamilton was waiting to knock it in.

After 77 minutes some fine approach play down the left from Connor Weatherbed gave Sweeney the chance to grab his fourth.

On the 83rd minute, Parkinson sent Hamilton in for his second and Colburn’s ninth, and it was left to McCormack to finish things off five minutes later when yet another Parkinson assist gave him his second, and made the final score 10-0.

Credit went to a Carperby side who outplayed Colburn first half, and never let their heads drop under the second half onslaught.

Hawes United’s stuttering title challenge appears to finally over after they lost to Leyburn 2-1.

The game was played on a heavy pitch art Askrigg and the middle of the park soon resembled a mud bath.

Hawes started well and dominated for the first 20 minutes, and should have bagged a couple at least.

Tommy Calvert had a shot which was well saved by the Leyburn goalkeeper.

The rebound fell to Jonathon Champion who could not lift the ball over the goalie who ultimately saved the tame effort.

Scott Guy played a lovely ball through to Champion who squared to Steve Calvert but his effort was well smothered again by the Leyburn stopper.

Ste Moff, playing against his former side, was excellent throughout and snuffed out many attacks.

The chance of the half came to Tom Wallis who was sent clean through and with the onrushing keeper but decided to shoot rather than pass to Champion who was waiting for a tap in.

His shot was hit with power but was once again straight at the keeper.

Hawes found themselves trailing after Keifer Bottomley finished for Leyburn, however the home siderallied and equalised through Scott Guy.

The second half was extremely scrappy with both teams threatening but failing to make real chances in the final third.

Hawes then took off Tommy Calvert – a move which seemed to swing the game in Leyburn’s favour. Steve Calvert looked lively for Hawes but they failed to calve anything of meaning out.

As Hawes pushed forward, Leyburn broke and Sam Lane smacked the winner in off the bar.

Results 1.4.18

Colburn Town 10 – 0 Carperby Rovers

Hawes United 1 – 2 Leyburn Town

Reeth & District Athletic Club 0 – 5 Catterick Garrison Football Centre

Richmond Buck Inn P – P Spennithorne & Harmby

Fixtures 7.4.18

Carperby Rovers v Richmond Mavericks

Catterick Garrison Football Centre v Richmond Town Academy

Colburn Town v Reeth & District Athletic Club

Leyburn Town v Richmond Buck Inn

Spennithorne & Harmby v Hawes United