Catterick Garrison go top with win over Carperby

Catterick Garrison went top of the table after recording their seventh win on the bounce on Saturday.

Visitors Carperby dominated large parts of the first half, keeping the ball well and creating plenty of chances.

Their possession was rewarded when Tim Weatherill hooked the ball back over his head for Matty Bradley to head home.

Catterick had chances of their own but found Carperby keeper John Pickard in fine form.

Catterick came out quickly in the second half but it was Carperby that went two up when Tim Weatherill played the ball through for Sam Lambert to finish well.

The home side had more chances and pulled a goal back when a Josh Pettler ball from the right was only half dealt with and John Peart skipped past the initial tackle before clinically finding the bottom left corner.

Catterick continued to create chances but Carperby thought they had killed the game off when Sam Lambert challenged the goal keeper and the ball bounced back to substitute Jimmy Spence who fired home.

However, Lambert had been adjudged to foul the keeper so the goal was disallowed.

Catterick equalised when Gavin Rudd rose highest to send his header looping into the goal from Pettler’s corner.

Catterick took the lead when Craig Teasdale sent a probing ball into the channel which found Damian Hargreaves.

He when past the defender and as Pickard came off his line, Hargreaves rounded him before finishing to score the winner. Final score 3-2.

Elsewhere, Richmond Mavericks beat new boys Askrigg 6-2.

James Kelly got a hat-trick, while brother Owen, as well as Preston Gredziak and Oliver Reynolds, also netted.

Askrigg’s goals were scored by veterans John Hodgson and Jonathan Champion, who both turned back time to show their young teammates how it’s done.

In the remaining league game, Unicorn had a routine 7-1 win over Reeth.

Unicorn’s goals were shared by Adam Lambert, James Moohan, Stuart Murray, Liam Reeves and Carl Handley, with Luke Circo netting his second goal in as many games for Reeth.

In the Medals Shield, Hawes got off to the perfect start in their game against Richmond Town Reserves, going one up in the second minute with a penalty taken by Luke Wilkinson.

Town levelled in the 14th minute from a long throw which the Hawes defence failed to clear and a defender turned the ball into his own net.

Things went from bad to worse moments later when Macaulay Acton got his marching orders with a second yellow card which the home side felt was harshly awarded.

Academy made use of the extra man and went 2-1 up after 37 minutes through Josh Wooff.

With no subs the ten men of Hawes battled well but couldn’t find the net and were knocked out of the competition at the first round stage.



Askrigg 2-6 Richmond Mavericks

Catterick Garrison 3-2 Carperby

Unicorn 7-1 Reeth

Medals Shield

Hawes 1-2 Richmond Town Reserves



Carperby v Askrigg

Catterick Garrison v Reeth

Hawes v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne v Richmond Town Reserves