A fire which destroyed a bungalow in Catterick Garrison was believed to have been caused by a heater, the fire service says.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze started accidentally by a heater in a pet cage.
The fire in Byng Road was reported at about 6.30am on Monday morning.
More than 20 firefighters were called to the scene.
Nobody was injured in the incident.
An appeal was launched to help the family whose home was destroyed.
So far more than £1,000 has been raised.
For more details on the appeal click here.
An appeal has also gone out for clothes, toiletries and household items.
A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said today: “The cause of the fire is believed to be a heater in a pet cage, and therefore accidental.”