Cigarette causes Colburn house fire

Photo: Rob Horton/North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters were called to a house fire yesterday which was caused by a discarded cigarette.

Crews from Richmond, Bedale and Colburn attended the blaze in Tulip Avenue in Colburn at about 4.30pm.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze in a bedroom was caused by a cigarette.

This story continues after the adverts:


The occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm.

Nobody was injured although the property suffered sever smoke damage.

Crews used a hose and breathing apparatus.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service can carryout free home safety checks.

For more details click here.