Colburn and Catterick Garrison share top spot after wins over Hawes and Carperby

Colburn and Catterick Garrison share the top spot of the Wensleydale Creamery League after the first games of 2020.

Colburn came from behind after managing to banish some post Christmas sluggishness in their 6-1 win away at Hawes.

After Colburn’s defence combined to give away a needless corner, Matt Guy headed home from a Tommy Calvert cross to give the Dales team the lead.

Parity was restored however after 24 minutes when Teasdale sent a corner across, and Hope, rising above the defence, powered a header into the Hawes net.

Colburn turned up the pressure, with Crisp and Callum Sheridan dominating midfield, and attempting to pass the ball around, despite the vagaries of the pitch.

On 38 minutes, Nige Cole showed the way, bursting through the Hawes defence into the area where, just before he finally ran out of steam, he was felled.

Up stepped Sheridan to drill the ball home.

Four minutes after the resumption, a Sheridan ball to the back post was headed home by Brandon Bishop.

Bishop then scored again after bending his run to stay onside, before collecting a Cole ball over the top and finishing well.

Adam Wardle then scored with his first touch on the field after coming on as sub, finish a square ball from Hope, beating Bishop to the ball who was seeking his hat-trick.

The forward did not have long to wait however when Rory Wallace crossed for him to strike the ball off the post and in.

Like McCormack was the star for Catterick Garrison, scoring all five in his team’s win over Carperby.

Carperby’s goals came from James Spence and Sam Lambert.

Unicorn went third with a hard fought win in the Newbiggin derby against Richmond Buck.

The game was settled by a single goal for the second time this season, again in Unicorn’s favour.

Former Buck player Dan Diamond had the best attempt in the first half, forcing a terrific left handed finger tipped save by Buck keeper Andy Young, around the far post.

In the second half Connor Metcalfe had the Buck’s best opportunity going around David Mutch in the Uni goal but he couldn’t score from a tight angle.

Unicorn had the majority of openings in the second half with Liam Reeves rattling the cross bar from the edge of the box and Young making more impressive saves.

Buck were hanging on in the final 20 minutes after losing workaholic Danny Allen to injury.

The game was decided in injury time when the umpteenth Paul Brown long throw into the box was allowed to drop to the feet of Sean Radford, whose instinctive swipe at the ball from a couple of yards found the net and broke Buck’s resolve.

Richmond Mavericks stayed in the mix with a good 6-1 win against Leyburn.

Leyburn went ahead through James Stanger, but Mavs came roaring back with Owen Kelly smashing in a beauty from the edge of the area to make it 1-1 after half an hour.

Ryan Howe then bagged a hat-trick and Reuben Bainbridge got a couple.

In the day’s final game, Spennithorne recorded a good  4-3 win away at Reeth with Adam Lambert getting three and veteran defender Tony Beales scoring the other.

Reeth’s goals were scored by Jake Archer, Kristopher Barker and Connor Weatherbed.


Catterick 5-2 Carperby

Hawes 1-6 Colburn

Leyburn 1-6 Richmond Mavericks

Reeth 3-4 Spennithorne

Richmond Buck 0-1 Unicorn

Fixtures – 11.1.20

Carperby v Hawes

Reeth v Richmond Mavericks

Richmond Town Reserves v Catterick Garrison

Spennithorne v Unicorn

Richmond Buck v Colburn