Colburn beat Leyburn again while Unicorn win Newbiggin derby

Leyburn and Colburn met in the league on Saturday after their recent cup final encounter.

Colburn fielded another makeshift back four, and started the game with ten men as Shane Parkinson had misread the kick-off time.

Colburn still made a bright start however, with an early chance for Joe Woodall, after a searching ball forward from Callum Sheridan found Luke McCormack.

There were several close calls for Leyburn’s defence and it seemed only a matter of time before Colburn scored.

But on 15 minutes, Sheridan was left for dead by Leyburn’s attacker, and was forced into a rash challenge which produced an inevitable penalty. Harry Jaques was left helpless by the spot kick from Lee Davison.

Colburn roared back and ten minutes later they were level when Craig Teasdale put in a fierce cross from the right.

The keeper, who had kept Colburn at bay for most of the recent Medal Shield Final, was unable to hold onto the ball, and McCormack struck.

By this time Parkinson had arrived, and the team had a more settled look, with Sweeney moving forward from full back to his normal spot behind McCormack.

Craig Teasdale slotted in at full back and Parkinson filled his place down the right.

Mark Jamieson sent an effort high and wide, and indeed Colburn were finding it hard to keep their shots down. Then ten minutes before the interval, Leyburn went ahead again.

A lack of cohesion in Colburn’s defence led to them being carved open by a Leyburn one-two, and the ball was knocked past Jaques into the net by Keifer Bottomley.

Colburn’s play in the second half was quite exhilarating, as the back four snuffed out any Leyburn threat.

Teasdale and Stuart Murray were marauding forward, and Jamieson and Brandon Bishop were providing creativity in central midfield.

Woodall and Parkinson were pushing Leyburn deeper and deeper and Tom Sweeney was looking for ways to play McCormack in.

On 50 minutes, McCormack played Parkinson in for the equaliser and three minutes later Parkinson returned the favour, slipping McCormack in.

McCormack’s slick turn left the defender for dead, and it was now 3-2.

Another six minutes passed and this time it was Woodall playing provider, for McCormack to seize his third and Colburn’s fourth.

Two minutes later, Sweeney played a ball across the box, and the defender could only divert the ball into his own goal, in his effort to keep McCormack from finishing it.

And just after the hour, Parkinson, tidying up at the back, spotted McCormack on the halfway line and sent a fine ball for him to run onto. 6-2, and that had been a complete turn round since the break – five goals in 15 minutes. Leyburn pulled one back through James Stanger when a long ball out of defence found the striker in space down the left.

Parkinson set the seal on a resounding victory when his shot was blocked by the keeper, only for him to joyfully smash the rebound home.

Unicorn took the points from the Newbiggin derby to keep them in the hunt for the title in a spicy game where the ref was reluctant to show his cards.

The game was 0-0 at half time thanks to an outstanding close range save from Liam Ryan in the Buck goal.

Auxiliary centre back Josh Wooff was marshalling the Buck back line well until a mistake by Stewart Fotheringham to stop and appeal after the ball had clearly crossed the by-line, resulted in Mark Sims pulling the ball back for Matthew Bateson to score past his former team.

Bateson put clear distance between the sides ten minutes later. His headed flick direct from a throw in ultimately sealing the points for Unicorn.

Richmond Mavericks had a comfortable 4-1 win over Reeth at home.

Owen Kelly, Andrew Pritchard and Kalem Stanger got the Mavs goals, while Michael Ellis scored for Reeth.

Elsewhere, Spennithorne beat Carperby 6-3 thanks a hat-trick from Adam Lambert, two from Jack Crook and one from Scott Partridge.

Carperby scored through goals from John Pickard and Sam Lambert, with Tony Beales scoring an own goal.

In the day’s other game Richmond Town Academy beat Catterick Garrison 3-1.



Catterick Garrison 1-3 Richmond Town Academy

Colburn 7-3 Leyburn

Richmond Buck 0-2 Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks 4-1 Reeth

Spennithorne 6-3 Carperby

Fixtures – 6.4.19

Colburn v Richmond Mavericks

Hawes v Richmond Buck

Catterick Garrison v Leyburn