Colburn beat Unicorn while Mavs progress in North Riding Cup

The freezing conditions meant only two games involving Wensleydale Creamery League teams took place on Saturday.

The Medal Shield Quarter Final between Colburn Town and Unicorn was held on a bitterly cold afternoon up on the Jaffa.

After ten minutes, Colburn took the lead when the tried and trusted combination of an Ashley McInerney corner and a back post Nige Cole header again paid dividends. Tom Sweeney sees his place as leading scorer under threat.

Shortly afterwards, Rory Wallace was booked for swearing at the official, reverting to the form of last season, when he received yellow cards aplenty.

Colburn pressed for a second and if Sweeney had been less honest and gone down under a rash Unicorn challenge, they might well have had a penalty.

David Mutch was kept busy in Unicorn’s goal, while their long balls were mopped up comfortably by Cole and Luke Hamilton at the back, leaving Josh Crisp at risk of frostbite in Colburn’s goal.

Then, a couple of minutes before half time, Colburn had a great chance to go further ahead when a Unicorn defender was penalised for handball.

Sweeney stepped up to face former teammate Mutchy, and on this occasion Mutchy proved his match, saving down to his right, meaning it remained 1-0 at the break.

Hammy Hamilton, back from his holidays, asked for more of the same in the second half, taking care not to give Unicorn any sniff of a chance.

A minute into the second half, the second goal arrived for Colburn. Joe Woodall received a pass down the right and played it across to Sweeney, whose shot flew past Mutchy into the net.

Colburn made a switch after an hour, when Connor Weatherbed replaced Tom Bentley.

McInerney moved over to right back and Weatherbed went to left back. The next period of play saw wave after wave of Colburn attacks.

Mutchy made several excellent stops, and there were a couple of wild Unicorn clearances.

On 77 minutes, Cole was booked for dissent and four minutes later Unicorn were given a way back into the game, when McInerney’s sliced clearance flew over Crisp into the net.

McInerney had said at half time that the only way the Unicorn would score would be from a worldy goal or a defensive mistake – prophetic words.

Nevertheless Colburn were able to see the game out without any real concerns.

Unicorn will be disappointed with their performance, but Colburn did more than enough to win. They go through to play Leyburn town in the semi-final in February.

Elsewhere , Richmond Mavericks progressed in the North Riding Cup with a 3-1 win at home to Edgehill.

Goals from Reuben Bainbridge, Daniel Johnson and Nathan O’Connor were enough to send Mavs into the next round.

Fixtures – 6/1/18

North Riding Challenge Cup

Catterick Garrison Football Centre v West Pier

Lingdale Village v Leyburn Town


Hawes United v Colburn Town

Reeth & District Athletic Club v  Richmond Buck Inn

Richmond Town Academy v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne & Harmby v Carperby Rovers


Medals Shield

Colburn 2-1 Unicorn

North Riding Challenge Cup

Richmond Mavericks 3-1 Edgehill