Colburn end Richmond Mavericks’ unbeaten run

Richmond Mavericks’ impressive unbeaten run in the Wensleydale Creamery League came to an end on Saturday with a loss against Colburn.

This report is sponsored by:

Mavs never dropped a point last season, with their previous loss before Saturday a 3-1 reverse against Hawes on April 28, 2018.

The league’s most successful teams in recent years played out a feisty encounter.

After 34 minutes Colburn went ahead when Dan Gardner scored after being set up by Daniel Deeney.

Before the interval, Colburn doubled their lead through Chris Hope, with an assist from Luke Hamilton.

But Mavs pulled one back through Brandon Gredziak.

This remained the score for much of the second half when things burst into life with ten minutes to go.

First came two goals in five minutes from Hope, assists from Craig Teasdale and Gardner, putting Colburn 4-1 ahead.

Mavs were not finished however and a couple of defensive slip gave Mavs their own hope, with goals coming from Bradley Galloway and Richard Bastow.

However, last year’s champions were unable to find an equaliser.

Elsewhere, Catterick Garrison took advantage of the conditions and Buck’s individual errors to condemn the Richmond team to their fifth straight defeat.

Garrison used the slope and wind assistance to pile on the pressure in the first-half.

A poor Buck clearance allowed Liam Walker to shoot at Buck debutante keeper Nathan Morris, whose spillage gifted Damian Hargreaves the opener.

Hargreaves grabbed his second on the half hour after good work from Luke McCormack on the by-line.

Garrison went in at half time 3-0 to the good when Hargreaves turned provider to cut the ball back to Neil Wright who bypassed defender and keeper with a low finish into the bottom far corner from 15 yards out.

Hargreaves was at it again in the second half and took the man of the match award after finishing a good move that caught Buck short at the back.

Buck improved with pacey substitutes Connor Metcalfe and Connor Dagnell, Dagnell latching onto a Micheal Ingram cross to pull a goal back at 4-1.

A David Addison header in between two more Garrison goals from Luke McCormack and Tim Holland made it 6-2 at full time and left the Buck hoping for a change in form after the winter break.

Hawes’ improved form continued with a 5-2 win against Reeth.

Reeth started the game the brighter team and took the lead after ten minutes through Joe Wodall.

Hawes pulled one back though Tommy Calvert after 33 minutes when he ran onto a great long pass from Jim Guy.

Steven Calvert put Hawes 2-1 up on 38 minutes with a penalty after been brought down in the box by a Reeth defender.

Hawes started well after the break and went 3-1 up in the 48 minute when left back Ryan Richardson picked up the ball in his own half and went on mazy run, before finishing well following a one/two with Tommy Calvert.

Lloyd Iveson made it 4-1 with a bullet header from a Calvert corner on 53 minutes.

Reeth pulled it back to 4-2 on 57 minutes when Josh Hammond picked up a bad clearance from the Hawes keeper.

Steven Calvert has a great chance to put us 5-2 up but put his second penalty of the game miles wide.

Brett Calvert however put the game to bed in the 65th minute with a shot which deflected in off a Reeth defender.

Richmond Town Reserves found themselves top of the table on Saturday night after two goals from Nathan Simpson and from Sean Thompson saw them past Spennithorne.

In the league’s other game, Unicorn beat Leyburn 5-1.


Catterick Garrison 6-2 Richmond Buck

Hawes 5-2 Reeth

Leyburn 1-5 Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks 3-4 Colburn

Spennithorne 0-3 Richmond Town Reserves

Fixtures – 4/1/20

Catterick Garrison v Carperby

Hawes v Colburn

Leyburn v Richmond Mavericks

Reeth v Spennithorne

Richmond Buck Inn v Unicorn