Colburn and Richmond Mavericks on-course for title decider

The games are now coming thick and fast for those clubs with a fixture backlog.

This report is sponsored by:

The game which is likely to decide the title between Colburn and Richmond Mavericks will take place next Wednesday.

Both teams enjoyed good wins last week to ensure they do not slip up ahead of the key fixture.

On Wednesday Mavs beat Richmond Buck Inn 6-1. The game had the potential to be a banner skin for the current title holders, but their job was made easier by the dismissal of Buck’s Andy Darcy midway through the first half when the Buck were winning 1-0 through a Ryan Howe goal.

Ian Smurthwaite then scored from the penalty spot and Mavs never looked back.

On paper Colburn’s tie away at Unicorn was also difficult, but as everyone knows cheese league teams generally play this season on a mixture of mud and grass, and the visitors won comfortably 4-1.

Colburn were quicker out of the blocks. One minute in, they won a corner, which was taken by Ashley McInerney.

His delivery was once again superb, and Stuart Murray got in ahead of Unicorn goalie, David Mutch, and headed home.

Unicorn did pick themselves up after this early blow, and their longball game produced a series of corners, which were fairly comfortably dealt with by Colburn keeper, Tim Bishop, and his back three.

On the half hour came a big chance for Colburn to increase their lead when Murray was played in, got behind goalie and defence, but managed to send his shot just wide.

But five minutes later the ball was shifted down the right by Luke Hamilton to Shane Parkinson out on the right wing.

Parkinson proceeded to send an outrageous lob, which drifted inexorably over Mutch’s outstretched arms into the top corner.

By now Colburn’s front three of Murray, Parkinson and Tom Sweeney were moving and interchanging so slickly that Unicorn’s defence didn’t know which way to turn.

After the break Colburn applied increasing pressure as they sought to put the game to bed.

Parkinson was just wide, after being played in by Sheridan, who then himself delivered the coup de grace, not once but twice. On 53 minutes he took a corner from the right.

Murray caused such havoc with his movement along the goal line, that everyone missed it, and the ball went straight into the net.

Five minutes later, Sheridan once again produced a corner from the same side, with the same end result. So it was now 4-0.

After 68 minutes, Hammy Hamilton made his first change, sending Timmy Taylor on for Dean McCormack in a straight swap.

Ten minutes later, Colburn were pegged back when some sloppy defending gave Unicorn the chance to get a goal back and prevent Bishop from claiming another clean sheet.

Hawes United still have a chance but will need to beat both Mavs and Colburn, as well as come through difficult games against Buck and Leyburn if they are to claim the title.

On Saturday they enjoyed a comfortable 7-0 win over Reeth.

Elsewhere, Leyburn clung on to beat Carperby 3-2 after leading 2-0 at half time through goals from Sam Lane and Ryan Alderson.

Jack Stephenson and Steve Richards drew Carperby level before Kalem Stanger got the winner for Leyburn.

Colburn’s game against Spennithorne was switched to Ferrand Park as none of Colburn’s pitches were fit.

Spenni were slightly handicapped by only having ten men, but Colburn were certainly up for it anyway.

Early chances came and went – Luke Hamilton’s header, from an Ashley McInerney corner, struck the bar, then Tom Sweeney was in on goal, after good approach play from Gary Hutchison, but Sweeney could only shoot tamely to the keeper.

Next it was Jamie Dempster’s turn, again set up by McInerney, but once more Arwell Carter in Spenni’s goal was up to the task. After seven minutes, McInerney played the ball to his midfield partner-in-crime, Callum Sheridan.

Sheridan set off goalwards in his trademark surging style but was felled outside the box.

He picked himself up, and there was a certain sense of inevitability in the way he set himself up and hit a fine free kick into the back of the net. 1-0.

Almost immediately, McInerney was at it again, this time setting up Dempster, but his effort went wide. On 13 mins, Hutchison’s shot was blocked, but Craig Teasdale was on hand to dispatch the rebound. 2-0.

Now it was Dempster playing Hutchison in, but his shot was blocked by Carter.

Then Colburn had one of their sloppy five minutes, when passes were poor and tackles were missed, but no harm ensued, and normal service was resumed.

Joe Woodall pushed an effort wide, but on 21 mins, a Teasdale corner was headed home by McInerney to make it 3-0.

Next though, it was Tim Bishop in Colburn’s goal, who had been a spectator for twenty mins, called into action to block a Spenni shot on goal, their first of the game. Minutes later, the action was back in Spenni’s box. Hutchison played the ball to Sweeney, on the left of the goal. He turned inside the defender and finished with aplomb.

Dempster now had another shot blocked, and Sweeney’s effort was tipped wide by an overworked Carter. Just after the half hour, Woodall gave Sweeney the chance to make it five, which he gratefully took.

There was time before the break, for Dempster to claim a goal, as his shot trickled along the goal line and in, having been sent in by Sheridan.

The pattern of the first half continued in the second. Hutchison sent in a searching cross from the left, which Dempster finished coolly.

On the hour, another McInerney corner was glanced on by Sweeney, and Sheridan knocked it home to make it 8-0.

The game seemed to be drifting to its conclusion, but there was still time for some indifferent defending to allow Spenni to claim a consolation goal to make the final score 8-1.

Brompton-on-Swale was the venue for the first Dales Cup semi final which saw Catterick Garrison play Buck Inn.

The pitch could be described as soft at best, with the scars from a Wednesday night game between Unicorn and Colburn still evident.

However CGFC were slick in the opening minutes and the pitch did not stop the Catterick side from playing their quick passing game.

Early on it was Catterick’s right side that were getting most joy and the busy Liam Ryan at left back was unfortunate to dislocate his knee in the first ten minutes.

Andy D’Arcy was sent on but he was to have the unenviable task of containing a now rampant Stephen Fleming and Damian Hargreaves combining.

Buck survived a Tim Holland shot from the edge and Fleming’s brake away run ended with his shot going just wide.

Steven Files was commanding and sweeping any over hit long balls that Buck could muster.

However he was called into action from a Ryan Howe free kick 20 yards out. It looked destined for the bottom corner, however Files had other ideas and flung himself to his right and made a full stretch save to put it behind for a corner.

Catterick dominance continued but the finishing was a little wasteful and three or four opportunities were not taken.

Then the game changing moment happened. Buck attacks were at a premium but Most in attendance would admit that Files’ point blank reaction save from a Josh Wooff header was without doubt one of the best saves they’ve seen at this level.

A wicked in swinging corner came into the six yard box at vicious pace. Wooff met it well and did well to direct it downwards. Files somehow made a ‘Schmeichel star’ and brilliantly saved with his foot.

Catterick broke through Holland and Hargreaves and were seeing their own chance smothered within 15 seconds of ‘that save’.

Catterick weren’t to be denied though and in a surprisingly direct attack took the lead.

A sharp angled ball was sent towards Hargreaves, who rose into the air between two defenders to flick his header into Neil Jenks Wright’s path.

He strode into the box and shot across the keeper, who got a hand to it and the ball bounced into the six-yard box.

Hargreaves beat the same two defenders he had beaten by air to the ball, this time on land and smuggled the ball home right on the stroke of half time.

Holland saw a tame freekick saved from a promising position, gaining him a lecture for using his left foot instead of his wand like right from the gaffer.

However, Holland was looking very smug three minutes later when he chose to take an inswinging corner with his left three minutes later. His superb cross was possibly going in off the back post, but James Boyle used his well endowed cranium to power a header home from under the bar and beat his marker to the ball.

Catterick now two ahead and saw out the remainder, however there was time for Files to keep out another low free kick from his bottom corner with another strong save.

Catterick move on to the final on the May 12 where they await the winner of Mavericks vs Academy in next weekends re-arranged semi-final.



Carperby Rovers 2 – 3 Leyburn Town

Catterick Garrison Football Centre 2 – 0 Richmond Buck Inn

Colburn Town 8 – 1 Spennithorne & Harmby

Reeth & District Athletic Club 0 – 7 Hawes United


Richmond Mavericks 6 – 1 Richmond Buck Inn

Unicorn FC 1 – 4 Colburn Town



Richmond Town Academy v Richmond Buck Inn


Richmond Buck Inn v Spennithorne & Harmby


Carperby Rovers v Colburn Town

Catterick Garrison Football Centre v Reeth & District Athletic Club

Hawes United v Richmond Buck Inn

Richmond Town Academy v Richmond Mavericks – Dales Cup Semi Final