Colburn Town Council April report

Colburn Village Hall.

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF COLBURN TOWN COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 16th APRIL 2018 AT 6.15 PM COLBURN VILLAGE HALL

PRESENT

Mayor Melanie Bell (Chair)

Councillors: Keith Chadwick, Helen Grant, Lynn Nassau, Jag Sharma, Gareth Sutterby & Michael Ward. Clerk: Philippa Graves Deputy Clerk: Angela Pickersgill

There were 0 members of the public present. District Cllr William Glover attended.

The training on the implementation of the Public Spaces Protection Order by Susie Eales of RDC planned at 5.50 pm
prior to this meeting was postponed.

1. APOLOGIES –Cllrs Angela Dale, Stuart Styles, Charlene Thirlwell & Steve Wright. District Cllr Bev Partridge

2. COUNCILLOR “DECLARATION OF INTERESTS” – none

3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
It was RESOLVED that the Minutes of the Town Council meeting held on 19th Mar and minutes of Open Spaces &
Play Parks Sub-committee held on 6th April were approved as a true and correct record and were signed by the Mayor.
Matters arising – none
From Open Spaces minutes –
Cllr Sutterby referred to the new Bench at White Shops and asked why this expenditure had not been ratified by full
council. Cllrs Grant & Bell referred to the fact that this was a regulated sub-committee which took decisions as a
delegated authority. The Financial Regulations were referred to and clause 11 Contracts (h) for items below £5,000
and above £500, the clerk should strive to obtain 3 estimates. This process had been followed by the Deputy Clerk
who looks after the work of Opens Spaces and Play Parks

4. POLICE MATTERS
Report for period 14th Mar to 11th Apr was circulated at the meeting (full report can be found on the website).
Crime reported for the period 8 incidents; crime reported for same period 2016 was 19.
3 Violence,1 Sexual, 1 Criminal Damage, 1 Autocrime and 1 Burglary
ASB – 21 incidents (same period last year 24). Half of these reports have occurred at The Broadway and the
immediate area but we are starting to see a drop in the number of incidents. Three youths are on Acceptable
Behaviour Contracts with certain conditions that will last for 6 months. These are regularly monitored with all
agencies who meet up with the individuals, parents or guardians to provide process reports.
The Public Spaces Protection Order, with amendments from the consultation, came into force from Monday 19th
March. Two local youths have already been issued with a FPN from the Council as they have breached one the
conditions of the Order.
In answer to Cllr Dale’s question on ASB figures for the Garrison (Hipswell ward area including camp centre,
Richmondshire Walk etc) there were 9 ASB reports between 19 March – 12 April 2017 and 5 reports for the same
period 2018. Problems with youths at Tesco had been noted and the police were monitoring the situation.
Cllrs questioned why only 2 FPN had been issued yet 21 incidents had been recorded. Deputy Clerk to action with
PCSO Kay.
Ward Surgeries
PCSO Kaye and PCSO Whitehead will be holding ward surgeries at the Colburn Library on the following dates. If
you have anything you want to discuss then please attend and speak with them.
Saturday at 10.30 – 11.30 on 21st April & 19th May
North Yorkshire Community Messenger service is a free service that allows messages to be shared by the Police to
members of a specific community area. Messages can be received via email, text, facebook and phone message. It is
easy to sign up, just visit www.nycm.co.uk from a PC or smartphone. If you are interested in signing up to community
messenger but do not feel confident enough with or have access to the internet please make contact with a member of
the team.
Keep up to date with Catterick Policing by joining twitter and follow us @NYPCatterickSNT
Anyone interested in Colburn specific incidents or who is interested in Colburn Community Watch can follow us on TWITTER@colburnwatch.

National 24 hr non-emergency number 101 (15p per call from mobile or landline) or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111
In an emergency or where a crime is in progress always call 999. Contact details –
PCSO 3556 Angela Kay angela.kay@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
PCSO 6607 Katie Whitehead Katie.whitehead@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

5. DISCUSSION WITH SUE WHITE, BUSINESS & COMMUNITY MANAGER, RDC ON ECONOMIC
DEVELOPMENT IN COLBURN
Sue White reported that she had taken up her post on 6th March and was keen to focus on engagement with businesses and had instigated an Audit of the work currently done by RDC to develop an Economic Strategy. At present, the work centred around the Business Grant schemes but she was keen to promote broader mapping of the whole district creating a datebase of every business in Richmondshire to build up a picture of how the individual areas work together.
Specifically in Colburn there were some key players in the service and engineering sections and the Business Park was
a key employment site. The Audit would provide information on what drives businesses to come to certain areas with
the importance of good infrastructure, suitable employees and road links. Cllr Grant invited Sue White to the next
meeting of the Colburn Business Association on Thurs 19th April as although only recently constituted, the
membership was growing. Sue gladly accepted this invitation to meet local business people.
Sue stated that she would defend the Business Park as the only business land in Richmondshire available and her
department would support building a case to challenge Linden Homes’ application for housing development there. It
was important for RDC to engage with developers as well as businesses and recently there had not been the resources
to undertake this work and fully understand the situation. Land was coming forward from owners but green open sites
needed a huge amount of money to install the necessary infrastructure to make the site attractive to potential
businesses looking to move into the area.
Sue White was thanked for her excellent summary of the new work being carried out by RDC and wished her every
success.

6. DISCUSSION WITH AUSTIN GORDON, RICHMONDSHIRE LEISURE TRUST, ON FUNDING
GRANTS FOR THE UPGRADE OF COLBURN LEISURE CENTRE GYM
Austin Gordon was following up the earlier discussion in January with the Town Council and had put together a plan,
which had been circulated with the agenda, to raise some £48,000 to replace the old gym equipment. He was seeking
a grant of £10,000 from the Town Council to make the plan work and be able to maintain and then increase the gym
membership which was a core activity. The various grant options were discussed and also the S106 money from the
proposed new housing in Brought with St Giles. For the purposes of refurbishing the gym, the S106 money would not
be immediate enough and they had plans in the future to which any such money could contribute.
Cllr Grant suggested the ASPIRE grant from NYCC and to contact Gillian Wall, Stronger Communities Delivery
Manager Richmondshire, at Swaledale House, Colburn Business Park. Austin was meeting with them on Thursday so
would pursue.
It was agreed that Austin would come back to the 21st May meeting to update members on how the fund raising was
progressing – agenda item.

7. TO DISCUSS COUNTY COUNCIL MATTERS WITH COUNTY COUNCILLOR HELEN GRANT
County Councillor Grant gave an update on some of the issues with which she had been involved –
Confirmed she had just sent ASPIRE grant details to Austin Gordon online.
As Vice Chair of the Care & Independence meetings she was saddened to see an uplift in fees for community care.
New charges being set for home to school post 16 educational needs students in line with charges for mainstream
pupils. NYCC still had to find £10.3 million per annum in as yet unidentified savings up to 2020 and the cuts were
beginning to hit front line services for the elderly, children and disabled/special needs.
The Richmondshire Area Committee which previously sat only in Richmondshire, was being reduced from 9 to 8
members thus making the footprint as big as a parliamentary constituency and diluting local representation.
Re-surfacing programme was being compiled and had an extra £10,000 for the whole of Richmondshire.
White Shops re-surfacing – this was being done to remedy an incorrect drainage hole found when the final assessment
of the work had been done.

8. REPORT FROM DISTRICT COUNCILLORS ON RDC MATTERS RELEVANT TO COLBURN
Cllr Partridge sent by email – pursuing Colin Dales for update on the bulbs and replacement light fitting for the
Broadway. Spoken to the Chinese and Ghurkha shop owners who have both seen a reduced amount of ASB which it
is hoped continues to fall. At Scrutiny working group the Workplan has been looked through and the group will do a
full scope of the workings of Waste and Street Scene. Once this big piece of work is completed, they will look into
Pest Control Services and Lifeline.
Cllr Glover spoke about the Boundary Commission decision with the result that one member had to stand for Colburn
Moor (area beyond Sour beck) and one member for Albermarle Drive with the remaining 9 seats for Colburn central.
The Planning Working Group had met two weeks ago and looked at the rate of building in Colburn and he was
encouraging other settlements to take a fairer share of development. There was lack of progress with the MOD Master
Plan which kept changing and there were brownfield sites within the Garrison which could be developed before
greenfield sites.
Drainage problems throughout the area needed addressing.

9. REPORTS FROM OTHER BODIES AND SUB-COMMITTEES
Present membership – Cllr Mel Bell as chair of both sub-committees
Play Park & Open Spaces – Cllrs Keith Chadwick, Angela Dale, Helen Grant & Charlene Thirlwell
Planning – Cllrs Lynn Nassau, Gareth Sutterby, Michael Ward and Steve Wright
a. Play Park & Open Spaces Sub-Committee – next meeting Thurs 3rd May at 8.45 am, Village Hall
Cllr Sutterby queried page 2 matters arising from TC mins 19th March and how the meeting had been arranged as per
Afternote. Members of the sub-committee explained the series of events and reminded members that site meetings
had to take place to make progress with Open Space matters and meetings with the Maintenance Person had to fit his
workings and the recent bad weather. Cllr Sutterby maintained that litter picking was part of the Maintenance profile
and the Town Council had a duty to keep the Sidings Woods clean. He was reminded that 3 new litter bins were being
installed and the emptying of these was an additional task that had been agreed within the hours. Regular litter
picking of the woods would require payment for additional time and cllrs present agreed with this principle. As Cllr
Sutterby was unable to accept the views of other members he left the meeting at 8 pm.
b. Joint Burial Board – latest meeting held on Thurs 15th Mar. It was noted that David Metcalfe had sadly
died suddenly and he would be sorely missed by the Burial Authority to which he had devoted many years
and was a pivotal figure for his knowledge of the area.
c. Garrison Area Partnership – meeting to be held on Wed 7th Mar at 6 pm, Tunstall Village Hall was
postponed due to adverse weather.
d. Planning Sub-Committee –
Plans agreed by Colburn Town Council:- none
RDC decisions:- –
17/00908/FULL Planning Permission for Garage Conversion to create Additional Living Space at 36
Beechwood Grove, Colburn DL9 4WA (passed 19th Feb 2018)
17/00566/FULL Planing Permission for Two Storey Side Extension to replace Single Storey Extension at
37 St Cuthberts Avenue, Colburn DL9 4NT (passed 21st Mar 2018)
Plans objected to by Colburn Town Council:-
18/00202/AORM Approval of Reserved Matters Application following Outline Approval of Planning
Permission 12/00669/OUT for Reserved Matters and Discharge of Conditions at Arc Factory Cso, off
Catterick Road, Colburn DL9 (closing 3rd May 2018)
The clerk was asked to enquire as to why the housing development part of the overall scheme was being allowed to
proceed and what was the proposed community gain. There was concern about the site access, the negative position
the Hanson Club found itself in with just 4 parking spaces and the Colburn surgery which was incapable of handling
the current workload.

10. CORRESPONDENCE –
Local Government Boundary Commission Review for Richmondshire Final Recommendations – have been
published (summary circulated with agenda). These will now be laid before Parliament for implementation at the
local elections in 2019. For District purposes Colburn ward has been reduced losing the land south of Sour Beck
(joins Scotton) and Albermarle area (joins Hipswell). 2023 electorate is predicted to rise to 3228 allowing 1614
electors per district councillor (2).

11. FINANCIAL MATTERS –
Cheques for approval – list circulated at meeting
It was RESOLVED to pay the following cheques presented for 2 signatures:
United Carlton Office Systems – Mar copier charge £47.03
Many Bookkeeping Services – Apr payroll £15.00
CRACCL – Year 2 (of 3) Administrative Support Grant Libraries £3000.00
Colburn Youth Project – Year 2 (of 3) agreed grant £4800.00
Yorkshire Local Councils Association- membership 2018-19 £779.00
Yorkshire Water – Broadway Car Park Surface Water rates 2018-2019 £405.04
Colburn, Hipswell & Scotton Joint Burial Board Precept 2018-19 £3744.00
Eyecatching Signs – new posts and clips for Noticeboard Village Hall £276.00
Richmondshire DC – allotment lease April – June £87.50
Colburn Village Hall Association – office rental Apr-June £780.00
Meeting room Jan, Feb Mar £71.25 £851.25
Zurich Municipal – insurance June 2018 – May 2019 £387.12
Clerk’s salary Apr (+9.25hrs) £574.29)
Copypaper & envelopes £5.50)
Mileage £16.50)
Stamps £38.04)
Batteries £3.94) £638.27
Deputy Clerk’s salary Apr (+3hrs) £353.76
Robertson’s Garden Services –
19th Feb – 23rd Mar 5 weeks 68 hrs £1020.00)
Open Space repairs/maintenance £63.60) £1083.60
United Carlton Office Systems – Apr copier charge

12. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: MONDAY 21st May 2018, the Annual Meeting commences at 6 pm
followed immediately by the regular monthly meeting. The Chair gave apologies for the 21st May.

13. ANY OTHER BUSINESS (at the Chairman’s discretion)
Cllr Chadwick – reported the appalling state of the recycling area. Deputy Clerk to report to Streetscene.
Cllr Grant – reported the flytipping over the fence from Forest Drive onto Yorkshire Water land, a long standing
problem. To report to Streetscene.
The Garrison Gathering in May has a shortfall of £500 and she asked if “in principle” the Town Council would agree
to fund £250 which would help supplying public toilets for example. To be an agenda item in May.
She also requested that the doctors from the Colburn Surgery be invited to the next meeting to discuss the system of
booking appointments and the walk-in sessions as residents are regularly waiting up to 4 hours to be seen.
Cllr Nassau – gave apologies for the May meetings and requested to be taken off the Planning Sub-Committee.
The meeting closed at 8.10 pm.