Cup dissapointment for Richmond teams

Richmondshire’s interest in the North Riding Cup came to an end on Saturday with both of the district’s remaining clubs being knocked out in tight games.

Richmond Mavericks lost 2-0 at home to Lealholm Tigers, who are unbeaten in their league this season.

The game was 0-0 at half-time before the North Riding League division one side scored twice to progress.

Richmond Town Reveres lost 4-1 in their game at home to Haxby Town, with Harry Beresford coming off the bench to score a late consolation goal.

In the league, leaders Hawes were held 1-1 by last season’s winners, Unicorn.

It was even-stevens in the first half until Unicorn went one up midway through the half with a goal from James Moohan.

Luke Wilkinson had two good chances to draw level in the second half. His first was a  left foot shot from eight yards which flow over the bar, while a header from inside the box also sailed over the top.

Unicorn had a chance to make 2-0 from the penalty spot but he put it wide, before Wilkinson scored in the final minute with a good strike from ten yards.

The draw means Catterick Garrison are now the only team with maximum points after they beat Askrigg 6-1.

Catterick took the lead after six minutes when James McCormack scored following a good one-two with Jake Oakes.

The second was a fine finish from Oakes after Jez Mortimer’s whipped corner.

The game then saw three goals in four minutes with Liam Walker and Oakes scoring for Catterick and Charlie Lancaster skipping past several challenges before bending the ball well into the bottom corner past the helpless Mark Birnie in the Garrison goal.

In the second half, Catterick missed a host of chances before sealing the points with two penalties both scored by McCormack, who had scored only ever scored two goals previously.

In the final game, Carperby made hard work of their visit to Reeth and were relieved to come away with the three points.

Carperby thought they had been rewarded for their early pressure when Sam Lambert ran onto a through ball and rounded the keeper to slot home but he was adjudged to be offside.

Reeth then won a penalty when on the counter attack their forward got to the ball in front of Carperby’s stand in keeper Josh Brown who clipped the forward.

Striker Luke Circo picked himself up to slot the penalty home.

Carperby pilled on the pressure to try and get and equaliser but the ball just wouldn’t go in thanks to a number of excellent saves, a couple of goal line clearances and some poor Carperby finishing and Reeth went into the half time 1-0 up.

Carperby soon equalised in the second half when Marty Bradley laid the ball off to Sam Lambert who smashed the ball home. Carperby continued to create chances but Reeth defended bravely with some more great saves and goal line clearance, and their forward had a couple of chances of his own that would have put them back in front.

However, Carperby finally got in front when Michael Dent headed home a Paul Stephenson corner.

They made sure of the points when Tim Weatherill played in Scott Lambert and he finished well to make it 3-1.

Reeth battled well and continued to work exceptionally hard, but in the end Carperby’s quality showed and they got their second league win of the season.


League – 5.11.22

Askrigg 1-6  Catterick Garrison

Reeth 1-3 Carperby

Unicorn 1-1 Hawes

North Riding Cup

Richmond Town Reserves 1-4 Haxby

Richmond Mavericks 0-2 Lealholm Tigers

Fixtures – 12.11.22


Askrigg v Richmond Mavericks

Catterick Garrison v Carperby

Unicorn v Reeth

Medals Shield

Hawes v Richmond Town Reserves