Cup joy for Richmond School Year 9 and 11 teams

Richmond School secured their second County Cup victory of the season as the Year 9’s defeated York High School in a high scoring game at Harrogate Town.

Richmond kicking with the wind behind started very brightly with Gus Glass scoring after 18 seconds when he blasted the ball into the top corner from an Ethan Brown assist.

Richmond then made it 2-0 minutes later when Kieran Bowers scored from a Josh Coburn free kick. Kieran then scored again when his header was straight in from a Gus Glass corner.

This story continues after the adverts:

After nine minutes the game was over as man of match Gus Glass beat his defender and put in another cross and this time Bailey Proudlock scored to make it 4-0.

York High School could not deal with the pace and power and of Richmond and they added to the scoreline after 20 minutes with the goal of the game, Uchenna, Josh Coburn and Bailey all linking up with one touch passing before Josh powered his shot past the keeper from outside the box.

To make sure that Richmond made full use of the strong wind, Richmond kept attacking and pressing the York High School defence and Jack Laviolette scored when Uchenna won the ball back in midfield and put a through ball to Jack who hit a first time shot from 35 yards which nestled into the bottom corner.

In the second half Richmond controlled the game and kept the ball well and added to the scoreline with goals from Toby Pascoe and Ollie Reynolds and the scoreline ended 8-0.

Richmond School Year 11 team.

Richmond School Year 11 footballers finished their final game in fine style beating St Francis Xavier School 11-0 to claim the Richmondshire and Hambleton Area Cup for the fifth year in a row.

Having already won the Area 7 aside tournament and the County Cup earlier in the year they completed the set to finish undefeated at Richmond School in Area competitions.

During the game SFX started brightly and caused Richmond problems at the back and nearly scored due to a mix up at the back.

With  the scoreline goalless after 30 minutes substitute Gary Walker was introduced and he made an immediate impact setting up Cameron Spence to score and then another a minute later when his header set up Eddie Lewington to race through the SFX to finish past the keeper.

SFX were still playing well but conceded a third on the stroke of half time as Cameron Spence powered through from midfield to finish tidily into the bottom corner with his left foot. At half time SFX would feel unlucky to be three goals down.

The second half however was all Richmond as they showed the fans watching why they have been so dominant in recent years.

Their passing and movement was slick, they were aggressive to win the ball back and scored some excellent goals. Ryan Hart scoring the best of the bunch as he turned his defender from 30 yards and finished past the keeper into the top corner, much to the delight of his watching parents.

Ryan then added to his goals and completed a second half hat-trick which was assisted by his Eddie Lewington both times dribbling from the right.

As SFX tired, Richmond got stronger and man of the match Cameron Spence completed his hat-trick, before Gary Walker, Arron Skelton, Jacob Steed and Rob Illingworth all getting on the score sheet to finish the game 11-0.

Captain Sean Thompson was unable to get on the score sheet despite finishing the game upfront but he was delighted at how well the team played in their final game and lift another cup which was presented to him at full time from the schools headmaster Mr Robertson.