Dog needs intensive care after ingesting poison during popular Richmond walk

The bridge over the Swale to Round Howe. Photo: Hugh Mortimer.

A dog had to be admitted to intensive care after ingesting poison during a walk near Richmond.

Police say the dog was walking on the Meadows at Round Howe on Wednesday at the time.

PCSO Vincent Long, from Richmondshire neighborhood policing team, said: “During the walk the owner’s dog is believed to have come into contact with poison known to be used to poison badgers etc.

“The vet has confirmed to the owner that it was definitely poison the dog has come in contact with.

“This has resulted in the dog being admitted into the intensive care unit at the vets, and being on a drip for 48 hrs.”

Fortunately the dog has survived and is recovering, however police say it is not fully recovered.

“Please be careful and vigilant when walking in the vicinity of Round Howe and other areas,” PCSO Long added.

“Please report anything suspicious to North Yorkshire Police on 101.”