Dog starts fire by turning hob on

A dog caused a house fir in Catterick Garrison by turning the hob on, firefighters say.

Fire crews from Richmond, Colburn and Leyburn were called to the incident at about 7.15pm last night.

Neighbours had called 999 after being alerted by smoke alarms sounding in the property.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival, the officer in charge spoke to the home occupier and they confirmed the fire was out but the house was smoke logged.

“Two firefighters using breathing apparatus were used to check the property for fire spread, and a positive ventilation fan used to clear the property of smoke.

“The cause of the fire was the family dog turning the hob on, where there was kitchen furniture on top of the cooker top.”

They added: “We are reminding everyone to check they have working smoke alarms in their property, especially as we prepare to go into the festive season with extra combustible materials in our homes.

“If you don’t have working smoke alarms, please click on the link below and follow the instructions.”

1 Comment

Comments are closed.