Electrical fault caused Richmond petrol station, says fire service

The petrol station has been demolished. Photo: Sarah Willis.

An electrical fault in a chiller unit is believed to have caused a fire which gutted a Richmond petrol station, fire chiefs say.

Staff at the scene of the fire on August 14 told local residents they believed the fridge was responsible, while police said it had started in a store room.

This was confirmed today by North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

A spokesperson said: “The cause is believed to have been an electrical fault in a chiller unit in a store room.”

The Harvest Energy fuel station was gutted by the fire.

It was later announced the building would be demolished and rebuilt.

Victoria Road past the scene has been closed since the blaze, but reopened today.

At its height, around 50 firefighters from ten appliances, including the aerial ladder platform, battled the blaze.

Crews arrived from across North Yorkshire and County Durham to help after the emergency services were alerted at about 2.30pm.

Local residents and businesses were evacuated.

Most have been allowed to return although it is understood at least one local resident has been made homeless by the blaze after their property suffered damage.

PHOTOS: Richmond fuel station destroyed by fire