Fire crews rescue pensioner after kitchen fire in East Witton

The fire occurred at a property in Low Thorpe, East Witton.

Fire crews rescued an elderly resident after a kitchen fire this morning.

Firefighters from Leyburn and Masham were called to the incident in Low Thorpe, East Witton, at 5.43am.

The fire is believed to have started in an electrical distribution board in a cupboard in the kitchen.

This story continues after the adverts:

 

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters entered the property and led an elderly woman to safety.

She was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Crews used two breathing apparatus kits and a hose reel to tackle the blaze.

The kitchen suffered ten per cent fire damage and 90 per cent heavy smoke damage, while the rest of the house suffered light smoke damage.

The spokeswoman added: “Crews thoroughly checked the property for hot spots using a thermal imaging camera and found the fire was confined to the kitchen only.”