Firefighters called after after cooking left on hob

Firefighters were called out last night after a flat filled with smoke after cooking was left unattended on a hob.

Crews from Richmond, Leyburn and Reeth responded to the incident in Richmond.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival, crews were confronted with heavy smoke coming from the ground floor flat.

“Unsure if anyone was inside the flat, the incident commander tasked two firefighters in breathing apparatus to locate the fire and search the flat to see if anyone was inside it.

“Thankfully, no was inside but a pan had been left on the hob.

“Crews then ventilated the flat using a positive pressure ventilation fan.”

The fire service said they were called after a member of the public heard the smoke alarm.

“Smoke alarms save lives” the spokesperson added.

“Please get in touch if you don’t have working smoke alarms on every floor of your property.”