Firefighters called to blaze at Richmondshire village pub

Blue Lion at East Witton.

Firefighters were called to a blaze in a village pub this morning.

The fire at the Blue Lion, in East Witton, started in the deep fat fryer.

Crews from Masham and Leyburn were called at 7.53am.

This story continues after the adverts:

 

The kitchen suffered some fire damage, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire service said a man aged around 60 was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and slight burns to his  head caused by attempting to fight the fire with a fire blanket and extinguisher prior to the crews’ arrival.

The man did not need hospital treatment.

Crews used three foam extinguishers and a hose reel to put the fire out.

Firefighters believe the fire started because the fryer oil overheated.