Firefighters were called to a fire at a property on the A66 this morning.
It is understood the blaze occurred at the Fox Hall Inn near Ravensworth and involved an oil heater.
Crews from Richmond and Colburn attended the incident, as well as firefighters from County Durham and Darlington Fire Service.
The fire services were alerted at 11.18am.
They used breathing apparatus and hose reels to tackle the fire.
The oil heater was destroyed and the building suffered smoke damage.
The Fox Hall is currently closed for refurbishment.