Firefighters called to candle on fire in Richmond

Firefighters were called out on Christmas Eve to a report of a candle on fire.

A crew from Richmond attended the incident in the bathroom of house off Reeth Road at about 9pm.

The fire was extinguished by the occupier prior to the crew’s arrival.

Firefighters gave advice to the occupier.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the cause is believed to be a faulty candle which was “spitting and flickering”.

In a separate incident, fire crews from Richmond and Colburn were called to a report of a fire in a kitchen in Gilling Road, Richmond, today at 12noon.

The fire service said it was a minor fire confined to an Aga cooker.

The fire was caused by overheated fat.

Crews used a fire blanket to smother the fire.