Firefighters called to washing machine fire

Firefighters were called to a house fire caused by a washing machine yesterday.

The fire was reported at 12.41 at an address in Catterick Village.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said a washing machine in the utility room of a domestic property had caught fire, causing heat and smoke damage to the drive belt.

The fire was out on arrival of the responding crew.

The cause of the fire is believed to be due to lack of maintenance.

The machine was moved into the open and two smoke alarms were fitted.