Firefighters tackle Colburn flat fire

Firefighters were called to a flat fire in Colburn today.

Crews from Richmond and Colburn attended the incident.

Nobody was in the property at the time.

The cause was a chip pan left unattended.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was in a ground floor flat.

“On arrival crews were confronted with smoke coming out of the flat.

“The incident commander committed two firefighters in breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire and to stop the fire spreading to further properties.

“Once the fire was extinguished, a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the property of smoke.

“Unfortunately the fire caused 100% fire damage to the kitchen, 50% smoke damage to the hallway and severe smoke damage to the lounge.

“Cause of the fire was an unattended chip pan. Please don’t use chip pans and never leave any pan unattended in the kitchen.”
Photos: North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

The spokesperson added: “We would also like to point out the importance of shutting doors when you leave your property and especially at night time.

“The photos below show the fire damage to the kitchen and the damage caused by the smoke to the flat.

“This was a kitchen fire, yet the living room has 50% smoke damage because the door was left open.”The bedroom, which was almost directly opposite the kitchen, has no smoke damage because the door was shut.

“We cannot emphasis this point enough, shut your doors!”