Goal glut on second Saturday of Wensleydale Creamery League

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

After some conservative scoring in the first week, more than 30 goals were put away over the five games played on Saturday.

This report is sponsored by:

Catterick Garrison, still stinging from a tough game in the season opener against Mavs, knew they had to start quick and blow away a lively Leyburn side.

Tim Holland created two early chances for his Catterick teammates, threading it through to Damian Hargreaves and Jez Mortimer.

One tried to go under the keeper, the other tried to go over and neither troubled the scoresheet. Daniel Deeney was also released early and saw a shot fly just wide.

In the eleventh minute Deeney was released wide right. He twisted and turned before sending in a cross; it went towards the back post and Jez reacted quickest before finishing smartly left footed.

Leyburn’s only early chance kept Bish honest in the Garrison net. The 50-year-old managed to stretch out a toe to send the ball wide of his post.

But Catterick soon scored a second. The same combination teamed up for this one, with Deeney creating for Jez again.

Jonathan M Holmes had taken an early knock to his knee and was forced off just after the half hour to be replaced by the impressive James McCormack.

Tim Bishop was crudely taken out in the air and had to play for an hour with a dead leg too.

Catterick continued to have the lion’s share of the possession with Deeney a constant threat, Holland creating at will and Damo’s tireless running gave Jez plenty of gaps to exploit.

The half ended at the same scoreline of 2-0.

Manager McKenny warned of a second half push from Leyburn and the dangers of them getting the next goal. His fears were realised five minutes after the restart when James Syanger finished neatly off the inside of the post for Leyburn following a mistake by Stephen Flemo Fleming.

Shortly afterwards it was 2-2 when Ryan Alderson avoided several tackles before weaving his way into the box and finishing well across Bishop.

With memories of Mavs second half still fresh Catterick could have folded, however after defending a succession of corners and a five minute spell of Leyburn pressure they then relaxed into their stride.

Hargreaves put Catterick back ahead after a wonderful cross from the right by new boy Danny Bailey, His beautifully curled cross invited Hargreaves to throw him self at it. His initial effort was saved by the busy Davison but the striker was quickest to the rebound and flicked the ball over the keeper for 3-2.

Just before coming off Shane Constantine found the tightest of gaps and played a 30-yard ground pass perfectly into Deeney’s stride. He strode clear of the Leyburn back line and round Davison to tap in for 4-2.

There was still time for Flemo to make up for his earlier mistake when up for a corner taken short. A nice passage of one touch football saw Flemo and Jez work their way into the box. The ball came out to second half sub Jenks Wright and his thunderbolt of a drive was only parried out to Flemo who had found space to flick home with the outside of his boot.

After Bishop was barged in the air, he reacted by cupping a Leyburn players face, but was given just a yellow card despite calls from Leyburn players for the card to be red.

After dropping three points last week against Colburn, Hawes United owe a debt of gratitude to midfield man Tom Wallis who ten minutes from time struck the sweetest shot of the match into the corner of the net from 20 yards out to make it 3-1 in their match against Unicorn.

There was a lot to enjoy from both sides during a close encounter, in which Unicorn felt hard done by. They complained about the first, claiming that Jordan Iveson had fouled when he flicked on to Steve Calvert to score.

The shot looped up after glancing the back of a defender’s boot and flew into the net. Unicorn complained about the second, too. The ref Jess Shuker gave a pen for what she adjudged to be a boot to the head of Iveson in the box. The men in purple said the boot was only chest height. Iveson himself appeared to sympathise with the culprit.

The ref was getting something of a hard time. Calvert – that is Steve – paid no notice and slotted the ball beautifully into the right corner of the net from the spot. Unicorn had several good half-chances.

On the stroke off half-time, a big, long throw found Carl Handley, who expertly pivoted off his opposite number, but volleyed over the bar. Unicorn got back into the match off a corner.

Adam Lambert – who’d been sharp all game – nipped in to the near post and clipped it in. This was the moment when Hawes were put to the test.  Parts of the crowd wondered if the confidence was draining out of them. But the blues began to pass it about and, when Wallis was found on the edge of the box, he didn’t think twice before striking bullseye.

Hawes definitely seemed to gain strength from being at home, and it is a tribute to the groundsmen that the match took place at Old Station yard. The storm that hit Sleddale on Wednesday morning and caused the beck to rise to immense proportions would normally have left the pitch waterlogged.

But as someone said: ‘They say it takes seven years for drainage to work’. Perhaps those gravel drains, lying horizontally across the pitch every two yards, are starting to have an effect. We’ll soon tell. Hawes are at home again next week, to take on Carperby.

The game between Buck Inn and Colburn kicked off in the pouring rain at Buck’s new home at Aldborough.

Colburn were managed by committee today in the absence of their manager, and in the first half looked completely out-of-sorts.

Too many long balls, not enough players finding space and/or team mates. They were lucky to be only two behind at the interval, as wave after wave of Buck attacks rained down on them.

Buck took an early lead with Micheal Slater again impressing with a goal, provided by Danny Allen. Slater however had to be replaced after 17 minutes but this didn’t affect Buck’s flow and they went 2 nil up after half an hour with Ryan Howe Nodding in from Adam Hodgkinson.

The only thing Colburn had to show was a very early Stuart Murray shot which was well-saved.

The rain had eased off by half time, and the Colburn players discussed where they had gone wrong in the first half.

They were determined to play the Colburn way second half, concentrating on short accurate passes. They received a boost after seven minutes of the second half when Craig Teasdale crossed the ball in.

In his efforts to get ahead of the Colburn attackers, Buck player Carl Kinsley managed to plant his header in the back of the net. Colburn’s spirits rose at a stroke, while Buck were clearly deflated.

Colburn made two effective changes, bringing on the pace and directness of Shane Parkinson for Joe Woodall, who had struggled to have any impact, and then replaced the far from fully-fit Ashley McInerney with Josh Crisp.

McInerney then joined the committee on the side lines and suggested that Colburn switch to three at the back, pushing Parkinson into a front three.

Almost immediately this bore fruit, when Parkinson managed to divert a goal-bound Colburn effort over the bar. On 77 minutes, Colburn had a corner on the right, which was put into the box. The clearance dropped to Tom Sweeney, who took a touch and shot home the equaliser.

Two minutes later, Callum Sheridan delivered an absolute peach of a cross from the left, which Murray gleefully headed home. The comeback was complete. At this point, McInerney stepped in again, deciding to switch back to a back four for the last ten minutes.

There was still time for Sweeney to claim his second, when a Buck clearance was headed down to him by Teasdale. Sweeney turned the defender inside out and smashed his shot in to make the final score 4-2. Truly a game of two halves.

Richmond Academy started the games at home to Spennithorne with eight teenagers in the starting line-up and the young guns took only three minutes to get on the scoresheet when two of the elder statesmen in the side combined for the opener.

Andrew Mackintosh was involved in a swift passing move before squaring the balls for Micky Sartini to volley a swerving effort past the keeper.

Despite having the better of the first half academy found themselves 2-1 down at half time with two long balls over the top catching them out.

The impressive Luke Wilkinson was pulling the strings in midfield for Spennithorne in much the same way as dad Jimmy did for Middleham over many years, and the Academy management team made a change at half time with Mackintosh moving into defence and the impressive Nathan Simpson moving inside from the left wing to keep the young Spenni youngster quiet.

The move paid dividends as Simpson and Sartini bossed the midfield before Turnbull replaced the ageing Italian legs to put in an assured performance himself.

Despite some impressive play the young side struggled to get back on terms and it took until the 67th minute to finally equalise when Simpson sent over a wonderful cross from the left and man-of-the-match Zach Sadler rose highest to plant a header into the top corner.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the tired Spenni legs and Academy were soon in front when on 75 minutes Joe Ramsay played the ball to Ethan Rowland and his shot (cross) flew into the top corner.

Five minutes later it was 4-2 after good movement in the box. The initial shot was saved on the line by the defender and as the ref missed the infringement Turnbull cooly curled the loose ball into the bottom corner with his normally unused left foot.

There was still time for one more goal at the death as Mackintosh sent a long ball forward clearing the Academy lines.

The Spenni left back had a 30 yard head start on Sadler but he chased him down before pinching the ball and finishing smartly.

In the remaining game, Mavs enjoyed a routine 6-3 win away at Reeth. Ian Smurthwaite got four and Daniel Johnson got a brace for Mavs.

Reeth’s goals were scored by Jason Dewhurst, Karl Longden and Alexander Mattin.