Good wins for Wensleydale League teams in Dales Cup

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

It was Dales Cup week for most of the teams in The Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League on Saturday.

Carperby came through a tough test away at Streetlam Farmers in Northallerton.

The Wensleydale team took the lead on 13 minutes when Tim Weatherill’s header found the back of the net from a Paul Stephenson corner.

Carperby had the better of the play on a bobbly pitch, but were limited to a number of half chances.

The home team almost made them pay for these missed chances when they had a header go just wide a few minutes before half-time, but Carperby went into the break 1-0 up.

Carperby took control early in the second half with three goals within the first ten minutes of the restart.

Sam Lambert pulled the ball back for Aidan Simpson who was brought down in the area, and Tom Barley stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The third goal was scored by Sam Lambert after Jimmy Spence sent the striker through and Lambert slotted home past the keeper.

Michael Dent then put Carperby 4-0 up after Lambert’s effort was saved by the keeper and the ball fell to Dent 30 yards out.

He lobbed the keeper despite him getting a hand to the audacious effort from the Carperby number ten.

Carperby created more chances but didn’t get a fifth until late in the game, when Tim Weatherill cleared a corner up to Lambert on the half way line, who beat a defender before running through and beating the on-rushing keeper.

Leyburn also enjoyed a good win against Dalton of the Harrogate League.

The Dales team started strong and had most of the ball in the first 20 minutes, missing two or three golden opportunities with the Dalton veteran keeper on fine form.

Leyburn finally broke the deadlock when man of the match Oliver Scott scored with a bullet header.

Maciej Nuprejczyk then added a second with a tap-in despite Dalton looking threatening on the break.

The result was sealed when Scott scored another thunderous back post header.

Leyburn will play Unicorn in the semi-finals on March 30.

There was nothing between the Catterick and Hawes in their game in the first 25 minutes although Hawes did hit the post twice.

The Wensleydale site then went a goal up 33 minutes when Macauley Acton followed up a 30-yard shot from Luke Wilkinson.

Acton made it two shortly afterwards with a back post header from a Tommy Calvert free-kick.

Catterick started the brighter after the break and pulled a goal back through Alex Boyle , before Brandon Acton made sure of the win for Hawes minutes before the final whistle.

Hawes look to have a tough away fixture against Bedale in the semis.

In the remaining fixture, Askrigg got their first win of the season beating Richmond Town Academy 4-3 away.

Two goals each for Richard Sunter and George Cockerill gave the Dales team a 4-1 lead going in the final minutes.

Town piled on the pressure and pulled two goals back, but Askrigg held on for the win and a quarter final match against local rivals Carperby.

In the only game played in the league, Unicorn battled hard to beat Spennithorne 2-1 at home.

Spenni came with a strong side and gave the table toppers a real fright.

The Richmond team missed several chances to take the lead, and in the 80th minute James Stanger hammered in from close range to give Spenni the lead.

Unicorn kept pushing and levelled the score through a Liam Reeves header on 90 minutes.

A draw could have probably been a fair result but Unicorn pushed on, and with the last kick of the game Bailey Proudlock ran through one-on-one and lobbed Scott Partridge in the Spenni goal to make it 2-1 and secure the three points.




Unicorn 2-1 Spennithorne

Dales Cup

Catterick Garrison 1-3 Hawes

Leyburn v Dalton Athletic

Richmond Town Academy  3-4 Askrigg

Streerlam Farmers 0-5 Carperby



Askrigg v Reeth

Leyburn v Carperby

Spennithorne v Catterick Garrison

Unicorn v Hawes