Hawes beat Carperby to maintain 100% record while Catterick Garrison win in cup

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Hawes continued their fine start to the season in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League with a hard-fought win at home to Carperby.

The visitors were hampered by the loss of several players to the Scott Trial but still made a game of it.

Tommy Calvert gave Hawes the lead after a long ball went over the Carperby defence and the forward ran through and slotted home with a good finish.

Carperby were hoping to keep the score at one until half-time but conceded in the last minute when they failed to clear a corner and Brandon Acton headed home.

Carperby had some good play of their own in the second half but Hawes came closest to scoring when Calvert hit a stunning shot which clattered off the underside of the crossbar, before a Luke Wilkinson free kick looked destined for the top corner but Lee Thompson managed to flick it onto the crossbar with his head.

However, Hawes made sure of the points when Dan Richardson ran through to smash home after the ball had bounced off the referee in the build-up, much to the visitors’ annoyance.

Carperby pulled a goal back late on when Billy Rice finished after Hawes failed to clear, but it was too late for Carperby to mount a serious fight back.

Richmond Town Reserves were the winners in their derby against Richmond Mavericks.

James Kelly gave Mavs the lead after 30 minutes, but goals from Joseph Ramsay and Lee White were enough for Town to take all three points.

Elsewhere, Unicorn beat Spennithorne by the same score.

In the first round of the Medals Shield, Catterick Garrison enjoyed a comfortable 11-0 win over Askrigg.

The deadlock was broken when a sweeping counter attack was finished expertly by the Damian Hargreaves after a lovely Tim Holland pass

Five minutes later Gavin Rudd was up from the back to convert a beautiful Neil Wright cross following a quick Jez Mortimer freekick.

Hargreaves then returned the favour, slipping in Holland, who finished well with the outside of his foot

It was soon 4-0 when the George Catterall won the ball back and a Mortimer feed was collected by Holland, who split Askrigg open again. This time Jake Oakes got his first goal for the club when he finished a great move across the keeper.

Ten minutes later Oakes was involved again, when he bravely went in on the Askrigg stopper Miles Middleton and in the process of lobbing him toward the back post was clattered for his troubles. Unsure whether it would be heading in, Matty Leaf threw himself in past the last defender with a low diving header from a yard for a fifth.

In the final minutes of the half Hargreaves added his second again with a clinical strike from the edge following another Holland layoff.

It was more of the same in the second half with Oakes getting his second and Catterall finding the top corner.

Holland also grabbed his second of the match with a great solo run and finish.

Mick Chape and Stephen Fleming finished the scoring for Garrison.




Carperby 1-3 Hawes

Richmond Town Reserves 2-1 Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne 1-2 Unicorn

Medals Shield

Catterick Garrison 11-0 Askrigg

Fixtures – 22.10.22

Medals Shield

Carperby v Richmond Town Reserves

Catterick Garrison v Spennithorne

Reeth v Hawes

Unicorn v Richmond Mavericks