Hawes bounce back while Richmond Town Academy leave it late in the cup

There were some soggy conditions on Saturday but all games still went ahead.

This report is sponsored by:

Hawes United bounced back from defeat against Richmond Mavericks to beat Catterick Garrison Football Centre.

The game was played at Askrigg due to the pitch at Catterick being waterlogged.

Hawes keeper Johnny Guy had a bad back so a last minute replacement was found in Jonathon Champion.

Hawes started the game brightly with the game being virtually played in the Catterick half.

The final ball just wouldn’t land, a theme which continued throughout the game.

Cattericks first attack of the game resulted in a goal. They picked the ball up in the middle of the park and ran right through and smashed the ball in.

Hawes then withstood a fair amount of pressure from Catterick but the visitors only troubled the nervy Hawes ‘keeper once when he saved from point blank range.

The second half begun with Hawes in the ascendancy again putting Catterick under pressure. They were first to every ball but couldn’t calve out anything worthwhile.

Catterick then broke, drilled a low cross in which Champion fumbled allowing a tap in to go two down.

The management had seen enough and swapped Champion for Steve Calvert.

Andrew Fagg came on and Hawes went direct. They thought should have had the goal back they craved when Fagg’s close range effort seemed to go over the line but the ref didn’t give it. The last 20 minutes was all Hawes with corner after corner scrambled away.

Brett Calvert caused problems but the breakthrough came when Tommy Calvert drilled a free kick home from the edge of the box.

Hawes got level with about two minutes to go when Lloyd Iveson calmly slotted a penalty after Jordan Iveson got clattered.

Hawes got the winner when the ball was swung in from the right and controlled by Scott Guy who played the ball square for Jordan Iveson to smash home.

Elsewhere,  Richmond Mavericks came through a tricky tie with Unicorn, beating the visitors 4-1.

All the goals were scored in the second half. Ian Smurthwaite, Reuben Bainbridge, Graeme Love and Nathan O’Connor scored for Mavs, while Liam Reeves for Unicorn’s only goal.

Three Dales Cup games were also played on Saturday.

The pick was probably the tie between Richmond Town Academy and Leyburn, which finished 4-3 to Academy after extra-time – despite being two down with a minute of normal time to go.

The game was played at Easby and the start was delayed slightly due to problems getting vehicles to the pitch.

The first half was a fairly open affair although Kenny Mudd in the Academy goal was probably the busier of the two keepers.

Sam Lane was a constant threat down the Leyburn right but Tyler Spence dealt with him superbly.

The Richmond sides back four stood firm and restricted Leyburn to a few pot shots from distance.

At half time manager Ramsay warned his young side about keeping the momentum as so often this season they have got to half time all square, only to capitulate early in the second period.

One enforced change saw Donoghue replace Spence who has struggled with a groin injury for the past couple of weeks.

Tom Carnegie Brown and Matty Turnbull started to dominate the midfield battle in the second half with Weatherall and Gilroy buzzing around in front of them trying to find the elusive breakthrough.

On 76 minutes skipper Mackintosh, who had put in a faultless performance, cleared the ball but it hit the advancing Leyburn striker and fell to Lane who finished well.

Mann was introduced to fresher up the midfield and Academy pushed for an equaliser.

On 87 minutes Richmond committed everyone forward for a corner which saw Leyburn break away and Lane score his second which all in attendance thought  had ended the contest.

But on 89 minutes the Leyburn keeper made two instinctive saves only to see the ball fall to Gilroy who cushioned a header over him and into the back of the net.

As Academy pushed forward they won yet another corner which saw keeper Mudd go up.

Lewington swung over the ball and Simpson nodded home at the near post to spark joyous scenes from the men in blue.

The first half of extra time was fairly uneventful as both sides tired and it looked like penalties could be the decider.

With five minutes left Simpson went on yet another run and released Gilroy who fired across the keeper into the bottom corner

With the game in injury time Leyburn won a corner and put all 11 men in the Richmond box.

As the ball was cleared Donoghue ran the length of the pitch before squaring to Lewington to fire into the empty net.

Richmond Buck bounced back from their last league outing to put Reeth to the sword.

Danny Allen and Stewart Fotheringham both bagged a couple with Liam Ryan, man of the match Adam Hodgkinson and Josh Wooff also registering on the score sheet.

Had it not been for some fine saves from the Reeth keeper it could have easily been a double figure score line.

Colburn Town also progressed to the next round with an 11-2 demolition of Carperby.

Credit went to both the home team Carperby and referee Mike McPherson for their positive efforts in allowing this game to go ahead.

The pitch was very heavy, with small patches of standing water, but both teams were keen to get the game played.

The start was slightly delayed, as Carperby endeavoured to field a full team, but Colburn were soon into their stride and an early shot from Shane Parkinson struck the post.

On 8 minutes, Stuart Murray played Parkinson in, and this time he made no mistake.

Colburn were finding joy attacking down the less muddy flanks, but it wasn’t easy to keep the passing precise in conditions like this.

It took 21 minutes for Colburn to double their lead, but this second goal arrived in exactly the same way as the first – Murray the provider, Parkinson the finisher.

Carperby were finding it hard to make any headway through Colburn’s midfield, and Colburn’s stand-in keeper, Nige Cole, was largely untroubled.

Craig Teasdale sent in one shot which crashed back off the bar, then Ashley McInerney struck one just over. As half-time approached, Joe Woodall, in a central midfield role this week, was fouled as he received the ball on the left of Carperby’s goal, but a good advantage was played by the ref, and Woodall was able to set Tom Sweeney up for his first goal, on his return from injury.

Twenty-two mud-splattered players were glad of the half-time break.

The first half action had mainly been in Carperby’s half, and that was a bit of a morass by now, so both teams were pleased to have a change of ends.

Five minutes after the interval, Colburn’s lead was increased, when a McInerney corner was headed home by an unmarked Murray.

Then after 56 mins, Teasdale’s ball across was met by Sweeney to make it 5-0.

Teasdale was replaced at this point by Tom Bentley, who brought renewed enthusiasm to the cause. Connor Weatherbed had a fierce shot from the left wing which smacked against the bar, and now Colburn made their second change, Parkinson – frustrated to be withdrawn when on a hat trick, which would scarcely have been deserved after he had one first half effort, where his drag back caused him to lose his balance – making way for Jamie Dempster.

And on 66 minutes, sub Bentley was found by a sweet through ball from Luke Hamilton. Bentley danced past the defender and netted gleefully to bring up the sixth goal.

Two minutes later, and it was seven, as another McInerney corner was finished off by Sweeney, to give him a comeback hat-trick – much to Parkinson’s chagrin on the side-lines.

More credit now to Carperby, who clawed one back, when Jack Stephenson finished off a good move, spoiling Cole’s hopes of a clean sheet.

Woodall fired across the goal, Weatherbed was waging a one-man barrage on the Carperby goal, shots going high, wide, or being blocked.

At this point a frozen Cole elected to swap roles with Sweeney, going upfront in search of goals, while Sweeney donned the goalie’s top and retreated to the back.

McInerney’s shot was now tipped over by Carperby’s over worked keeper, but on 84 minutes a goal blitz ensued, when yet another McInerney corner was nodded home by Murray, then Murray had a shot pushed back to him by the keeper and knocked the rebound home to claim his hat-trick.

Next another McInerney assist, this time sliding the persistent Weatherbed in to grab a well-deserved goal. And on the 90th minute, Colburn completed their scoring, when Cole was set free to move menacingly in on goal, but when everyone was convinced he was going to score, he calmly slid the ball across to an astounded Dempster, who managed to keep his head and slide the ball home.

Then came possibly the goal of the game, when almost from the kick off, Tom Osborne sent a high looping shot which dropped over Sweeney into the net to make the final Score 11-2.

A highly entertaining game played in the best of spirits, if not in the finest of conditions.

Had it started half an hour later, it may well not have finished as the fog rolled in and the rain came down.



Richmond Mavericks 4 – 1 Unicorn FC
Catterick Garrison Football Centre 2 – 3 Hawes United

Dales Cup

Reeth & District Athletic Club 0 – 8 Richmond Buck Inn

Richmond Town Academy 4 – 2 Leyburn Town (AET)

Carperby Rovers 2 – 11 Colburn Town

Fixtures – 17.3.18 (all league)

Leyburn Town v Hawes United

Reeth & District Athletic Club v Catterick Garrison Football Centre

Richmond Buck Inn v Spennithorne & Harmby

Richmond Mavericks v Richmond Town Academy

Unicorn FC v Colburn Town