Hawes go top after win over Richmond Mavericks

Hawes reached the summit of the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League on Saturday with an excellent home win fellow title contenders Richmond Mavericks.

Mavs took the lead after ten minutes with a good finish from James Kelly, before Ryan Alderson smashed home after half an hour to level.

Soon after the break Luke Wilkinson put Hawes 2-1 up with a penalty after Ben Fawcett was fouled in the box.

Jordan Iveson then made it 3-1 with a good finish shortly afterwards.

Owen Kelly narrowed the deficit for Mavs, but Dan Richardson netted soon after from a rebound off the Mavericks keeper to make it 4-2.

Tom Wallis then sealed the points for Hawes on 85 minutes with a downward header from a Brett Calvert pass

Elsewhere, Carperby took Unicorn close but the reigning champions ground out a valuable 3-2 win.

Carperby took the lead in the first half when Sam Lambert chased down the visiting keeper and Dave Mutch’s clearance hit Lambert on the back and went into the goal.

Carperby went two up when Tim Weatherill’s superb through ball was expertly controlled and finished past the oncoming keeper by Michael Dent.

Unicorn showed their class and kept going with the dangerous Reeves getting free in the box to finish to half the deficit.

Reeves got his second before half time when he again got beyond the home defence to finish well.

The second half started just as competitive as the first, with both teams struggling to get any big chances, but Unicorn took the lead when Tom Keegan got in at the back post to cut inside and finish.

Carperby pushed hard for an equaliser with Unicorn going down to nine men late on due to a sin bin and a red card, but the home side couldn’t get past the visitors’ well organised defence.

After a run of three games without a win, Richmond Town Reserves welcomed Catterick Garrison to the Dave Clark Arena with a sense of trepidation knowing that their opponents had hit a decent run of form.

Any pre-match nerves were settled early on however as Town took the lead in the second minute, Danny Weatherall feeding Matty Libera to score his first goal for the club.

It was 2-0 on ten minutes as Lewington made a great run and found Simpson at the back post for a tap in.

Weatherall was causing Garrison issues playing like a rotund Pele and got on the scoresheet himself after a great ball from Simpson.

Three became four moments later when Bishop played in Danny Allen to stab home.

Garrison pulled one back from a corner when Hunt was allowed to nod home when unmarked.

The visitors came out stronger in the second half and forced a couple of good saved from Walker but conceded again as Lewington ran on to a short back pass and slotted home.

On 64 minutes came the goal of the game as Wooff lined up a free kick from just inside the Catterick half and found the top corner past the despairing keeper.

With 20 minutes to go, Town threw on fresh legs and it paid immediate dividends as Ramsay rose to head home a Lewington corner before returning the favour and slipping the winger through for his second of the game.

The scoring was rounded off in the dying minutes when Weatherall returned to the field after a much needed rest and was put through by Ramsay to finish off the post.

Results – 26.2.22

Carperby 2-3 Unicorn

Hawes 5-2 Richmond Mavericks

Richmond Town reserves 9-1 Catterick Garrison

Fixtures – 5.3.22


Catterick Garrison v Richmond Town Reserves

Reeth v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne v Hawes

North Riding Cup

Boro Rangers Reserves v Unicorn