Householders use steam to extinguish chimney fire

The occupants of a house in Skeeby used steam to extinguish a chimney fire yesterday.

Firefighters from Richmond were called to the incident in a two-storey property at 8.53pm yesterday.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The occupiers had used water to create steam which extinguished the fire prior to fire brigade arrival.

“Crew carried out an inspection using a thermal imaging camera, provided advice and also fit some smoke alarms.

“The cause it thought to be due to an accumulation of soot.”