Hull man set fire to tent and slashed another while on break at Wensleydale campsite

Philip Wayne Jackson.

A man set fire to his sister-in-law’s tent after stabbing his partner’s tent with a knife at a Wensleydale campsite.

Phillip Jackson, aka Phillip[ Ransom, flew into a drunken rage during an argument with his partner at the Dales Camping and Caravanning site, near Thornton Steward.

The victim began packing her tent and was about to leave when Jackson, 39, went “crazy” and started “slashing” the blow up tent from the outside with a knife whilst shouting, prosecutor Annie Richardson told York Crown Court.

The tent collapsed on the victim who “had to climb out of the tent and realised that the other tent (belonging to her sister) was on fire,” added Ms Richardson.

Jackson, a former deep-sea fisherman, threw or kicked a fire bucket at the other tent, which belonged to the victim’s sister and her partner.

The bucket had a lit fire inside it.

He also threw a gas canister at the tent, said Ms Richardson.

“Others on the campsite described seeing a male going crazy and throwing things around and shouting,” said the prosecuting barrister.

“The victim’s brother-in-law heard Jackson say he didn’t care about them and would kill them all.”

The terrified victim got into a car, but Jackson marched up to the vehicle and threatened to “slash the tyres” while bawling at the victim.

They finally managed to drive away and police were called.

Jackson’s antics during the incident, which lasted about 20 minutes, caused £1,770 of damage to both tents and camping equipment.

He was arrested later that night in his van and refused a roadside breath test, telling police he wouldn’t answer any questions until he spoke to his solicitor.

A knife was seized from behind the passenger seat of his vehicle.

He was taken to a local police station and was said to be verbally aggressive during the custody procedure.

Jackson told officers he had an argument at the campsite and that in anger he had kicked a fire bucket into one of the tents “knowing that no-one was actually in the tent at the time”.

He admitted using his work knife to stab and burst the air tent which he jointly owned with his partner.

He said some men helped him put the fire out in the other tent and then he drove back home in his van.

Jackson was charged with arson, affray, carrying a knife, criminal damage and failing to provide a specimen of breath for analysis.

He admitted the offences and appeared for sentence today after being remanded in custody.

Ms Richardson said the incident occurred at about 10pm on June 2 last year, when Jackson and his partner were camping on the site near Leyburn.

She said Jackson and the victim had been in an “on-off” relationship for over two years and that it was “good most of the time, with its bad moments”.

She said that Jackson, whose last registered address was Arran Grove Hall Road, Hull, had “lots” of previous convictions including violence and public disorder.

Defence barrister Emily Hassell said that Jackson, a farm hand who had formerly worked as a deep-sea fisherman abroad, suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder following the death of his sister in 2018.

She said his life had since “taken a downturn” and he developed a cocaine and alcohol problem which resulted in a spell in rehab.

She said he had “lost everything” since the incident at the camp site including his job and his partner whom he loved.

She said that Jackson and the victim moved from Hull to the York area in 2020.

Recorder Tahir Khan KC told Jackson he had “lost all your self-control” on the night in question when he had been drinking.

“The witnesses describe how you appear to have been very, very aggressive and intimidating and it’s clear that (the victim) and others were fearful of the way you behaved,” added Mr Khan.

Jackson was given a 14-month jail sentence, of which he will serve half behind bars before being released on prison licence.

He was also handed a 12-month driving ban.