Hunton man back behind bars after breaching order keeping him away from children

Darren Peacock.

A sex offender is back behind bars after breaching a court order designed to keep him away from children.

Darren Peacock, 38, was banned from staying or sleeping at any household with female children following his conviction for a series of sex offences in 2014.

But in June this year he stayed overnight at the home of a woman in the Hambleton district where young children were living, York Crown Court heard.

Peacock’s “deliberate” flouting of the court order follows his conviction for sex offences, including the rape and sexual assaults, which resulted in a 10-and-a-half year jail sentence in January 2015.

Prosecutor Michael Bosomworth said Peacock had not long been out of prison when he stayed at the woman’s house. He had been released partway through his sentence in line with current sentencing guidelines.

The original sentence included a sexual-harm prevention order which prohibited Peacock from having any unsupervised contact with children without the knowledge of Social Services.

“He clearly knew he should not be staying overnight (at a property with a young child),” said Mr Bosomworth.

He said that although no harm was done to the child, nor was there any physical contact, Peacock’s being around a very young girl in such circumstances was a “worry”.

Peacock, of Wyville Grove, Hunton, appeared for sentence via video link on Friday after he admitted breaching the sexual-harm prevention order.

Stephen Munro, for Peacock, said there was “no suggestion” that his client had ever been alone with the child.

Peacock had been released from jail on licence in January but had been recalled to prison the day after breaching the order in June.

Mr Munro said Peacock was “extremely remorseful” and had not initially intended to stay the night at the woman’s home.

Recorder Jonathan Sandiford QC told Peacock that by staying in the house in North Yorkshire, “the opportunity (was) there for sexual offences to be committed”.

“It’s a matter of concern for the court that, knowing about your convictions and the (court) order, you still did not take steps to stop that (opportunity) happening,” added Mr Sandiford.

“It seems to me that you sought out the opportunity of staying in that house. This was deliberate.”

Peacock was jailed for 12 months and the existing court orders will remain in place.