Lamb dies but other livestock saved from barn fire

A lamb died but other livestock was saved from a barn fire last night.

Two people were also given oxygen due to smoke inhalation following the incident in Manfield, near Darlington.

A crew from Richmond along with a crew from Darlington responded to the report of a fire in an agricultural barn containing livestock at about 11.15pm.

On arrival, fire crews worked with farmers to remove the livestock from the barn.

Crews extinguished the fire and dampened down the area.

The fire was caused by an electric heating lamp that had fallen into hay.

The fire resulted in the deal of a lamb and caused damage to two hay bales and some small farming equipment.

Crews administered oxygen to two casualties suffering smoke inhalation until ambulance crews arrived and carried out precautionary checks.