Mavs beat Hawes while Colburn hammer Buck Inn

The league table as of 26.2.18

Earlier in the season Colburn were deducted three points after fielding an ineligible player.

This report is sponsored by:

After a great run recently, they could still claim the league title, although it is likely they will need to win all their remaining games including tough fixtures against Mavs and Hawes.

On Saturday they beat a below par Richmond Buck 6-1.

It was Colburn’s first game at their new home venue in Jutland Road in Catterick Garrison.

An early flurry of goals saw this game decided to all intents and purposes after 20 minutes.

Colburn were out of the blocks like Bolt at his best. From kick-off the ball was fed back, then after a series of slick passes, it came to Luke Hamilton down the right.

He moved it on down the wing to Craig Teasdale whose ball into the box was put away with aplomb by Stuart Murray.

Within five minutes Buck were level. There was unusual uncertainty along Colburn’s back line, and when they didn’t move out in unison, Buck’s Scott Wallace found himself in space and put the ball across for Michael Ingram to fire home.

On 11 minutes Colburn forced a corner down the left. Ashley McInerney’s delivery was superb as always. It found Nige Cole at the back post soaring gracefully above a static Buck defence, to send his header across the keeper into the opposite corner.

Colburn were by now running Buck ragged. Shane Parkinson’s overhead kick flew wide, but the pressure was relentless and when after 19 minutes Colburn were awarded a free kick over on the right, there was some discussion between Teasdale and McInerney, with Teasdale being given the responsibility.

He put a fine cross over to the back post where Adam Taylor was ready to head home.

Number four arrived just after the half hour. Murray put the ball through and Parkinson beat the onrushing keeper to the ball to prod it home.

Colburn now took their foot off the gas at this point and were given a kick up the backside when a rare Buck attack was only thwarted by a goal line clearance from winger Joe Woodall.

But as the interval approached Colburn grabbed a fifth when Taylor’s ball across goal was volleyed home by Teasdale.

Colburn zipped back into action after the break and on 49 minutes, a Teasdale corner was dispatched at the near post by Hamilton determined to claim it despite claims that it might have been an OG.

Richmond Mavericks are potentially a step closer to another league title after beating rivals Hawes.

Two goals from Adam Emson, and one each from Sam Bainbridge and Ian Smurthwaite sealed the win.

Reeth have been having a tough season but will no-doubt be cheered by a good win over Richmond Academy.

An evenly-contested first-half failed to produce a goal, but Reeth were out of the blocks quickly from the re-start.

A cross to Roy Asimba on 47 minutes saw him bundle in off his knee and a minute later Reeth were two up, as Connor Metcalfe hit a rasper of a volley that gave the ‘keeper no chance.

An arrowed free kick from Darren Smith, with 10 minutes left, pinged in off the far post as the home side took a 3-0 lead.

Richmond pressed strongly in the dying minutes and were rewarded with a consolation goal on 85 minutes, but Reeth were worthy 3-1 winners.

Catterick entertained Carperby on a pitch still showing plenty of battle scars from their win against Mavericks a fortnight prior.

The home side were favourites in most people’s eyes and that view was solidified in the eighth minute.

Daniel Deeney the main protagonist early on and it was indeed him at the heart of this one. He picked the ball up in the right channel and drove past his marker before striking a beauty across Craig Marshall in the Carperby net. Somehow it hit the inside of the post and rolled literally across the line.

With Marshall scrambling to his feet and a defender in close attendance it was the ever willing Damian Hargreaves that got there first for a tap in.

More Catterick dominance ensued. Marshall made an outstanding one handed reaction save to keep out a sharp Deeney volley, also pushing a Tim Holland shot out for a corner at full stretch.

He was unable to keep Catterick out for much longer though and in the 20th minute Hargreaves had his second close range goal of the game after a fantastic run and shot from Holland cannoned of the other post and into the six yard box. Hargreaves’ brace had a combined distance of about three yards.

The game was being played almost entirely in the Carperby half, however it wasn’t until 40 minutes that the lead would be extended.

Deeney skinned three or four defenders before calmly cutting back to Holland on the edge. Holland’s strike again kissed the inside of the post, however this time, much to the poacher Hargreaves dismay, it went in without his close range assistance.

There was time for a good strike from a Carperby attacker to hit the angle of post and bar and come out to safety, before the sides went in at half time with the score at 3-0.

Ten minutes after the restart Deeney grabbed the goal his performance had merited from all of 30 yards.

Holland won arguably his first and second headers of the season in a pinball exchange, the second fed Deeney who calmly flicked the ball up and volleyed a beauty over Marshall for a Catterick forth.

Holland almost added a fifth when his shot almost snapped the cross bar after what would have been a wonderful team goal.

Then the subs were introduced Shane Constantine, Stephen Flemo Fleming and Lee Mckenny were introduced, the latter with just over 15 to go.

Mckenny clinging onto his player manager title had sprayed on an old shirt and was to be a constant menace to the Carperby defenders. Winning free kick after free kick and holding the ball up in his own unbalanced style.

He almost profited from a Jonny Holmes cut back, but seemed surprised when Fleming let the ball run to him and took seven attempts to control it when all the fans were baying for a first time shot, eventually Marshall walked out of his six-yard box and smothered his long awaited toe poke.

The last notable action of the game came when Mckenny collected inside the box following a scramble. The big man held off two defenders and with his twinkling feet doing the rest, he shifted the ball onto his left for a shot. However a clumsy challenge felled the gaffer and the ref played on.

The referee quoted as saying he “heard and saw the contact, but didn’t think it was enough to bring the big man down”.

The big man was not happy, with that decision but was with the team performance.

In the league’s remaining fixture, Spennithorne and Harmby played out a nil-nil draw with local rivals Leyburn Town.


Results – 24.2.18

Catterick Garrison Football Centre 5 – 0 Carperby Rovers

Colburn Town 6 – 1 Richmond Buck Inn

Hawes United 1 – 4 Richmond Mavericks

Reeth & District Athletic Club 3 – 1 Richmond Town Academy

Spennithorne & Harmby 0 – 0 Leyburn Town

Fixtures – 3.3.18

Dales Cup

Carperby Rovers v Colburn Town

Richmond Buck Inn v Reeth & District Athletic Club

Richmond Town Academy v Leyburn Town


Catterick Garrison Football CentreHawes United