Mavs beat Unicorn while Buck, Colburn and Spenni also win

The start to the game between Richmond Buck Inn and Leyburn was delayed in true grass roots style as the teams were locked out of Wensleydale School where the game was meant to be played.

This report is sponsored by:

Frantic phone calls, tetchy players, a Benny Hill moment courtesy of Sam Lane, and a round trip to Carperby for Macaulay Acton to collect keys and the game eventually kicked off at 2.30pm at Spennithorne.

Both sides agreed to 40 minute halves as the ref had to be somewhere later.

And the Benny Hill music continued to be heard as mistakes were a plenty as Buck took a 4-2 half time lead.

Connor Metcalf replied to James Stanger’s opener for Leyburn.

Michael Ingram scored a comedy goal as his daft run up to a free kick on the edge of the box flummoxed the wall which jumped over the ball which just had enough momentum to bobble past the keeper.

Metcalfe saw his edge of the area shot cannon off the post for Danny Allen to take his time to prod home.

Ingram much more stylishly set up Josh Wooff up for Buck’s fourth with a lofted through ball.

Goals kept coming in the second half with Adam Wardle sniffing out a chance from centre back, scoring his first goal for the club, leaving him buzzing more than he was the night before.

Danny Allen made it 6-3 with 10 minutes remaining to halt Leyburn’s charge but Leyburn continued to threaten and James Stanger, unlucky to be on the loosing side scored his fourth to complete the scoring.

Spenni went up to a windy Carperby with both teams in search of their first three points of the season.

It took a while for both sides to settle in to the blustery conditions but once Spenni had found their stride, there was some good play through the channels.

This allowing Adam Lambert to find a gap between the Carperby defence and he slotted the ball past the keeper’s right.

The second half saw Spenni shuffle the pack with Scott Partridge making way for a hungry Jack Crook.

Crooky made an immediate impact on the game putting the ball across the face of the goal for a hard working Scott Lambert to score.

John Russell then thumped home his first of the day, before rattling the cross bar moments later.

Crooky fluked another for Spenni, bouncing of his shin to beat the down-hearted Carperby keeper from a Chris Metcalfe through ball.

Alfie Read replaced a tired Andy Thwaites after a fantastic first half, and set up Russell’s second of the day.

The referee was kept busy today by Jake Gamble entering the refs book for a late toe stamp.

Unicorn’s great start to the season came to an inevitable end on Saturday when they were beaten 5-2 by Richmond Mavericks.

After loosing Ian Miller after 30 seconds to an injury and players being away at places including Harry Potter World, Mavs battled hard against a strong Unicorn team.

James Kelly and Nathan O’Connor got two each while Chris Layfield got one.

In the league’s other games, Catterick Garrison and Hawes drew 3-3.

Catterick’s goals came from Neil Wright, who got two, and Damian Hargreaves.

Colburn’s season is gathering pace, but they were made to work hard for their 5-3 victory over Reeth.

This game also kicked off a few minutes late, with Colburn having to accept the kind offer from their hosts of their spare kit, after a series of misadventures led the away side having no suitable strip.

Colburn had planned to play in their brand-new strip, until it was discovered that the new shirts had no numbers on them.

One of Colburn’s squad came to the rescue, or so it seemed, offering to get Colburn’s pink strip from the launderette and bring it to Reeth.

Sadly, the driver didn’t know the way to Reeth and nor did his passenger, despite having played there on several occasions.

Suffice to say, that, five minutes before the kick off, Colburn’s kit was at Askrigg.

eferee Jim Wilson was sympathetic and allowed Town time to don Reeth’s green tops, the ensemble fetchingly completed with an array of tracksuit bottoms.

And so the game kicked off on a pitch, apparently little-affected by the previous days’ downpours. Colburn, understandably were slow into their stride and Reeth carried the game to them for the first ten minutes, but slowly Town grew into the game, their spirits lifted by the arrival of their kit, with its two sheepish porters.

It was agreed that Colburn could switch kits at halftime.

Almost straightaway, Colburn claimed a two-goal lead, Tom Sweeney playing Stuart Murray in and he finished well.

Then, a few minutes later, Luke McCormack fell to the ground under a Reeth challenge, and Callum Sheridan, back from fighting whoever soldiers are fighting at the moment, stepped up to despatch the first of the afternoon’s penalties. 2-0 and coasting. Er no.

Five more minutes elapsed, and a gentle push from Dean McCormack caused Reeth’s attacker to drop like he’d been shot. Another generous penalty award from Mr Wilson, and Karl Longden shot past Tim Bishop to halve Reeth’s arrears.

There was time for Sheridan to restore Colburn’s two goal lead before the Interval. 3-1 at Half time. Colburn scurried off to change into their more familiar pink kit and all seemed rosy in Town’s world.

The second half began without any signs of what was to come, and Colburn made three changes, Brandon Bishop for Luke McCormack, Craig Nisbet replacing the other McCormack brother, Dean, and Craig Teasdale coming on for Rory Wallace.

Whether Colburn were unsettled by these changes or not, Reeth sprang into life. On the hour, sub Jack Thornley claimed a second for Reeth, and ten minutes later they were level through Josh Hammond.

However, Jim Wilson then awarded a third penalty, this one to Colburn, and Sheridan made no mistake from the spot, claiming his hat trick.

And not long afterwards, Teasdale got a fifth for Colburn, finally putting this remarkable game to bed. Thanks go to Reeth for their help in getting the match on, and to referee Jim Wilson for his empathy.


Carperby  0-5 Spennithorne and Harmby

Catterick Garrison 3-3 Hawes

Leyburn 4-6 Richmond Buck Inn

Reeth and District 3-5 Colburn

Richmond Mavericks 5-2 Unicorn

Fixtures 20/10/18

Medals Shield 

Richmond Mavericks v Reeth and District

Richmond Town Academy v Hawes

Spennithorne and Harmby v Richmond Buck Inn


Carperby v Catterick Garrison

Leyburn v Unicorn