Mavs maintain unbeaten start with win over Catterick Garrison

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Richmond Mavericks maintained their 100 per cent record with a hard-fought win over Catterick Garrison Football Centre on Saturday.

James Metcalfe got Mavs off to a good start, scoring within six minutes.

But Catterick, who were playing their first league game, went level when Damian Hargreaves’ shot looped in after some pinball in the box.

Mavs continued to pump the ball into the Catterick area but the home side’s defence stood firm and keeper Alfie Martin continued his good form.

His distribution was also excellent and he almost had an assist after finding Tim Holland with a 60-yard pass. Holland failed to realise how far clear of the defence he was however and rushed his chance to lob the keeper who was ten yards out of his box.

The second half was a committed affair, although neither team really working the opposing keeper.

Despite both teams being well below their usual standards, it was Mavericks who managed to create one final chance. A ball tossed into the box was flicked on and found its way to Sam Pickersgill, who poked the ball home from close range.

Catterick had a injury time scramble in the Mavs box, but their own players getting in the way and brave blocks from defenders meant none of the strikes troubled the keeper.

Elsewhere, Carperby built on last week’s win with a 3-3 draw against Leyburn in a game played at Middleham.

Carperby took the lead early on through from a freekick from Paul Stephenson.

Carperby had a lot of the play but Leyburn always looked threatening, in particularly through Luke Wilkinson, who had several excellent long distance efforts which were stopped by the woodwork and Carperby keeper Craig Marshall.

Wilkinson however finally got the goal his performance deserved when he finished into the bottom corner from distance.

Carperby got back in front before half-time with another free kick from Stephenson into the same top corner.

In the second half, Leyburn started well and equalised through Sam Terry after playing a one two with George Shaw, but Carperby responded when a fine through ball from Luke Morland was finished well by Sam Lambert.

Lambert had another couple of chances that were saved well by Leyburn keeper James Wise.

Leyburn equalised when Wilkinson’s good through ball put Lee Davidson in on goal and Matt Weatherald’s attempted last ditch tackle brought Davidson down.

The Leyburn forward picked himself to convert the penalty, despite Carperby keeper Craig Marshall getting a hand to it.

Colburn set off like an express train, claiming two goals within first 15 minutes, in their game against Spenni.

A Simon McGuinness free kick found Luke Hamilton on the left of the goal are who found the corner of the net.

Ten minutes later, it was Woodall finishing coolly after being sent through by Hutchison.

For the rest of the first half Colburn were well on top, playing some nice football, while squandering a number of chances to put the game to bed.

The visitors looked lethargic after the break however and after five minutes into the half, Spenni pulled a goal back when three missed tackles allowed Adam Lambert to set Kalem Stanger up for a shot that looped over Oscar Luck in Colburn’s goal.

Colburn responded when they were awarded a free kick to the right of the goal and Teasdale fired a fine effort into the far corner.

But three minutes later Spenni reduced the arrears again when a speculative effort from Tim Weatherill flew into the top corner.

It only took a minute for Colburn to respond again. Teasdale nearly repeated his earlier goal direct from another free kick, but this time McGuinness was on hand to touch it home.

Colburn thought the home side’s keeper should have been punished following a coming together with Murray. Referee Jim Wilson kept his cards in his pocket, but Sweeney converted the resulting penalty.

Spenni claimed a third just before the end through Scott Partridge.

Elsewhere in the league, Unicorn beat Richmond Town Reserves 7-1. Liam Reeves getting four, with Tom Keegan scoring twice and Chris Duckett getting one. Harry Beresford scored for Town.

In the league’s other game, Hawes beat Reeth 4-3.


Catterick Garrison 1-2 Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn 3-3 Carperby

Reeth 3-4 Hawes

Spennithorne 3-5 Colburn

Unicorn 7-1 Richmond Town Reserves


Medals Shield

Richmond Buck v Caroperby

Richmond Mavericks v Spennithorne

Unicorn v Colburn


Catterick Garrison v Leyburn

Richmond Town Reserves v Hawes