Minutes from Leyburn Town Council

Thornborough Hall.


A Meeting of the above named Council convened by the Council was held in the Oak Room, Thornborough Hall on Monday, 19th March 2018 at 7.00pm.


Cllr Walker Cllr Sanderson

Cllr Begley Cllr Bradford

Cllr Riley Cllr Pace

Cllr Wood Cllr Read

Cllr Medley

PC Julian Sutcliffe and District Cllr Sedgwick

‘Police and Crime Commissioner Community mapping visit’ by Sam Hutchinson

Councillors discussed their concerns surrounding policing and crime: Speeding on approach roads, problems with drugs in town, inconsiderate parking on pavements were amongst topics raised.


District Cllr Sedgwick would like the residents of Kirkwood Hall to have their own post box and also asked the Town Council to again request better lighting on Harmby Road near to the building.

RDC will place a stand in the town centre with dog waste bags. Cllr Walker volunteered to keep the stand stocked up with bags.

  1. APOLOGIES – There were no apologies.

  1. To receive any Declaration of Interest under the Council’s Code of Conduct or Members’ Register of Interest – There were no declarations.
  1. MINUTES OF MEETING held on Monday, 19th February 2018 were approved as a correct record.

RDC had carried out a ‘topple test’ of the headstones in the cemetery and over one hundred were found to be unstable and in need of repair. None had been laid down at this stage. The Town Council will put a list of the unstable headstones on the cemetery noticeboard and will endeavour to contact relatives.

There is now a consultation concerning the proposed closure of Northallerton Magistrates Court and details will be emailed to Councillors.


An informal litter-pick of Moor Road had been carried out by some Councillors and this had resulted in 45 bin bags full of rubbish.

A site meeting was held to decide on the location for the Tour de France metal sculpture in the Market Place.

The Staffing Committee conducted interviews for the post of Deputy Clerk.


Decision/Comment Required

  1. Councillors discussed and agreed to set up a social media (Facebook) page for Leyburn Town Council. It would enable people to easily contact the Town Council and also could be used to publicise matters of interest. A Standing Order will be required to govern it.
  1. Councillors approved a budget of £5,000 (from the Thornborough Hall account) for the Tour de Yorkshire event and granted authority to Cllr Richard Sanderson and the committee to manage the budget for the event. RDC will be giving the town a grant of £2,000 and local businesses are also sponsoring the event.
  1. Councillors approved the draft wording for a new standing order regarding the giving of donations by Leyburn Town Council.


From 1st April 2018 the Town Council will be taking over the running of the former Register Office on the first floor as small wedding room (Wensleydale Wedding Room). All enquiries and bookings will be via the Town Council Office.


Update: The report summarising the findings of the survey and the proposed actions to be taken will be printed in April and distributed in May this year.



  1. 18/00035/FULL Full Planning Permission for Removal of Existing Timber Bowling Club House and Utility Shed and Replacement of a New Bowling Club House / Pavilion and Utility Shed at Leyburn Bowling Club, Moor Road, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 5DJ. GRANTED
  1. 18/00002/FULL Full Planning Permission for Orangery to the Rear and Extension to Existing Garage at 11 Mount Drive, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 5JQ. GRANTED

Decision/Comment Required

  1. 18/00087/FULL Full Planning Permission to Site Four No Cabins / Offices at Leyburn Livestock Auction Mart, Richmond Road, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 5DP

Councillors felt that trees should be used to screen the back of one of the cabins because of its proximity to houses in Brentwood. A time limit should be applied to the permission.



  1. A monthly Sunday market will commence on Sunday, 8th April and will be held every second Sunday from April through until October. It will comprise of some familiar Friday stalls as well as others. Signs will be put up to help prevent overnight parking of cars on the main square.

Decision/Comment Required

  1. Councillors considered an application from Mr Glenn Williams to sell cards, stationary and colouring books on a new stall next to his current cake and biscuit stall. Councillors did not wish him to extend his range of goods into an unrelated product and wished to maintain a number of traders and therefore did not grant permission. However, until a new card trader is found he may continue to sell cards etc on his stall.

Decision/Comment Required

  1. Councillors approved the application for signatory authority for the Town Council accounts to be transferred to Mrs C Smith due to the retirement of Mrs J Forrest.
  1. Councillors approved the accounts as attached.

Ray Nicholson was thanked for clearing snow from the Moor Road footpath in front of Thornborough Hall recently.

The Clerks were reminded to order the new bollards for the top of the Market Place and to arrange for the parking donations honesty box to be repainted.

The dog bin at the Dale Grove play area is in a rusty condition.

There are a lot of molehills along the path leading into the playing field.

  1. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday, 16th April 2018 in the Oak Room, Thornborough Hall at 7.00 p.m.

The Annual Parish meeting will be held on Monday, 26th March 2018 in the Oak Room, Thornborough Hall at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed

By Order of the Council.