Mixed fortunes for Creamery League teams in North Riding Cup

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

There were mixed fortunes for Creamery League teams in the Horth Riding Cup on Saturday with some great wins and heavy defeats.

The early exchanges between Colburn and Thirsk Falcons Reserves were cagey to say the least, as both sides tested each other out.

But the game sprang into life on 12 minutes when Thirsk’s speedy left-winger outpaced Craig Nisbet, cut in towards goal and sent his shot past Karl Latcham into the net.

Spectators were not at all sure initially whether the shot had gone in or wide, but referee Colin Ward was in no doubt.

Colburn had to pick themselves up and responded 10 minutes later when Latcham’s clearance fell to Rory Wallace on the shoulder of the last defender.

He controlled the ball, shielded it well and laid it across goal to Joe Woodall.

Joe turned to make space and shot past the keeper to equalise. But Colburn weren’t level for long.

A minute later, a Thirsk attack down the right got behind Colburn’s back line and when the ball was crossed, Latcham pushed it out, but a Thirsk boot got to the loose ball first to prod it home.

Colburn tried to come back again and Stuart Murray pushed a chance just wide. Colburn continued to press, but the speed of Thirsk on the counter-attack was always a threat.

After 37 minutes, a Thirsk clearance came off Callum Sheridan’s head, falling to the Thirsk winger whose cross was converted to increase Thirsk’s advantage.

Colburn were not playing well, but their resilience bailed them out.

Murray found himself in space to the left of goal. He turned and shot, but his effort flew just wide.

Then Craig Teasdale took a corner and Nige Cole’s back post header was cleared off the line for another corner.

Again Teasdale sent one over, and Cole, inexplicably unmarked at the back post, headed home. And so half time came, and an out-of-sorts Colburn were only one behind.

Caretaker manager, John James Elliott, changed things round at the interval.

He took Nisbet off, sparing him further problems with Thirk’s left winger, and brought on Mark Jamieson, recently returned to the fold.

Wallace was sent up field to support Murray, Luke Hamilton moved across to right back, and Timmy Taylor dropped back from defensive midfield to centre-back.

The changes, and the clear-the-air halftime talk, seemed to reenergize Colburn, but Latcham was called on to make two fine saves early in the second-half to keep the game in Colburn’s reach.

The Colburn pressure was building, and Thirsk were pushed back.

Some excellent build up play ended with another good Teasdale cross, which Murray sent narrowly wide.

Then a ball from the left was knocked out to Woodall in acres of space on the edge of the box, but he blazed it high over the bar. Another good move produced another shot diverted wide, and then on 71 minutes, Ashley McInerney, whose influence on the game had grown, the longer the game went on, surged forwards to the right of the goal, and was brought down for a nailed on penalty.

McInerney picked himself up, took on the responsibility and shot just past the keeper to equalise.

For the next 15 minutes, all the positive play came from Colburn, as a Woodall blockbuster crashed back off the post.

Thirsk seemed resigned to penalties, having had their lead pulled back twice, but Colburn were determined to finish off the game in normal time.

They got their reward four minutes from the end when Teasdale’s defence-splitting ball found Sub Jamieson, who was able to outpace the back two of Thirsk and fire home to give Colburn a well-earned victory.

Colburn’s stand-in manager – filling in after Darren Nisbet’s resignation – then retired with his 100 per cent win record, and passed the baton to new manager, Hammy Hamilton.

In the only tie between two creamery league sides Hawes United’s Jordan Iveson scored the winner against Richmond Town Academy with only minutes to go to settle a wildly open and high-scoring first round match.

Last season’s top scorer poked in the winner in the six yard box after Academy failed to clear a dubiously-awarded corner.

Richmond Academy arrived at Hawes to find the type of heavy pitch that is expected in these parts. The young side set up with a 4-5-1 formation and were buoyed by two new signings after the recent collapse of the clubs reserve side.

But good luck appears to be clinging to Hawes at the moment: it was on Wednesday that the blues discovered their opening day league defeat had been annulled because opponents Colburn Town had fielded an ineligible player.

After a couple of heavy defeats in recent weeks Hawes were big favourites for this tie but the Richmond side started brightly and took an early lead.

Eddie Lewington cut inside from the left wing and played the ball to Zach Sadler on the right.

Sadler swung in a cross than everyone missed, including the unfortunate Hawes stopper as the ball nestled into the bottom corner.

The watching crowd expected a quick respond from the men in blue but in never came and town extended their lead on 20 minutes with a lovely passing move. Finn Sheehan won the ball in midfield and it moved swiftly between Nathan Simpson and Danny Weatherall who slid in Lewington to finish smartly.


Twinkle toes Tommy Calvert started the comeback, beating his man at the far post and firing in from a tight angle.  An own-goal soon followed to make it 2-2 at half time.

Academy used the competitions rolling subs rule to good effect to ensure they kept the players fresh and for the majority of the second half they thought they were the better side.

Wide open chances were spurned in an end-to-end second half. It was Academy who scored again first when Lewington cut inside from the left wing and hit a shot that Hawes’ stand-in keeper Luke Barker got buttery fingers and allowed through his hands.

Hawes struck back when the Academy defence went to sleep to allow Ashley Iveson to dart in and get on the end of an innocuous Tommy Calvert cross.

Barker blamed himself when Academy went 4-3 up. He said he took an ill-judged half step forward, but the 30 yard free kick from Matthew Turnball which struck the roof of the net was beautifully hit.

Academy sat deep and successfully protected their lead for a 20 minute spell.  Jordan Iveson, Tommy Calvert and Jonathon Champion either went close or blazed over from short range for Hawes. The young lads in red began to sniff a surprise victory.  But Tommy Calvert, still only 18 himself, equalised with a strikingly similar goal to his first: he beat his man and shot cleanly from a tight angle into the net.

Hawes had control of the match but Academy still looked dangerous on the break. Barker made amends by flying through the air to tip a shot bound for the top corner around the post, before Jordan Iveson won the game for Hawes.

It all looks good for Hawes on paper now, with three wins out of three in league and cup and no defeats, but there were many moments in the match when the blues’ were pulled badly out of shape and the back line looked worryingly exposed.

They will be looking for a much more convincing display when Academy return in a fortnight’s time to play a league fixture; next week the blues have no match.

Elsewhere, Richmond Mavericks beat Easingwold Town First 4-3 away to book their place in the next round.

But Spenni suffered a 10-0 defeat to Whitby Fisherman’s Society, while Carperby lost 7-0 to Redcar Athletics Reserves.

In the only league fixture of the day Buck Inn and early league leaders Catterick Garrison drew 3-3.

Goals for Danny Allen, David Addison – a tap in after the keeper dropped a Callum McInnes corner – and Josh Woof for Buck were cancelled our by efforts from Neil Wright, Timothy Holland and Dan Deeney for Catterick.

Allen could have won it at the end for the Richmond side but blazed over from a couple of yards out.