Murder accused admits failing to get help for ex-girlfriend

Andrew Pearson. Photo: Facebook.

A man accused of kidnapping and murdering his ex-girlfriend has admitted failing to get help for her for more than six hours.

Andrew Pearson, 45, was continuing to give evidence at Teesside Crown Court where he is on trail following the death of former partner 30-year-old Natalie Harker on October 9 last year.

Prosecutors say Miss Harker, 30, died after the defendant strangled or used a ligature on her, and held her face under water.

But the accused says she slipped and fell in a stream while they walking in the woods.

The defendant claims that after pulling her out of the stream, he dragged her back to his tent, including underneath a rabbit wire fence, and then took her clothes off to keep her warm.

He claims that he then “blacked out”, before coming round several hours later.

The defendant has already told the court he did not ring for help when at the stream because he was worried his phone would fall in the water.

Under cross examination from Alistair MacDonald QC today, Mr Pearson was asked why he had not called for help when back at the tent or when he came round after supposedly blacking out, or asked workmen using chainsaw nearby in the wood for assistance.

Mr Macdonald said: “At no stage did you seek any help for Natalie did you?”

Mr Pearson replied: “I suppose not.”

The barrister suggested that the reason he did not seek any help was that he had killed his former girlfriend.

“No I didn’t,” the accused replied.

The accused was also asked again about a message he had sent to a friend in the US after he claims he came round, which stated: “Goodbye, I’ve killed Natalie. I’m going to hand myself in.”

The court heard Mr Pearson said he had considered killing himself, but decided not to.

The accused was asked why he had not answered any of the questions put by police following his arrest on suspicion of murder.

He said he had been told by his solicitor not to make any comment.

Mr Pearson was again asked by the defence barrister John Elvidge QC if he had harmed Miss Harker.

He replied “No, I would never hurt her.”

Both the prosecution and defence teams have now put their cases before the jury and will make their closing speeches on Tuesday.

The judge will then go through the evidence before the jury retires to consider its verdict.

Mr Pearson, of Brompton-on-Swale, denies kidnapping and murdering Miss Harker.

The trial continues.

1 Comment

  1. I used to work at Catterick before moving to the Midlands.
    What a stupid web of lies this man spins.
    If he is not found guilty then there is definitely something wrong with the justice system

Comments are closed.