Neighbour rescues pensioner from house fire

A neighbour rescued a pensioner from a house fire in Richmond last night.

Crews from Richmond, Leyburn and Reeth were called to the blaze at 8.22pm.

The fire started in the lounge of the property and caused fire damage to approximately a metre of carpet as well as smoke damage.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A male in his 80s was rescued by a neighbor from the property and suffered minor burns to his legs, with both casualties also taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation.”

Crews extinguished the fire using two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and thermal imaging camera.

The property was then ventilated using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The cause of the fire was accidental.