North Riding quarter finals end in penalties

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Penalties decided all three of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup games involving Wensleydale League teams on Saturday.

Unicorn enjoyed shoot-out success against Nunthorpe Athletic to make it through to the semi-finals but the other two Richmondshire teams were knocked out.

This report is sponsored by:

James Moohan scored with ten minutes to go to take the game to extra time, before stepping up to score the winning penalty when the scores remained level.

Unicorn will now face North Riding Division One West league leaders Boro Rangers Reserves in the semi-finals after they beat Richmond Town Reserves on penalties.

The first half in this game was a fairly even affair even though town were playing with the advantage of gale force winds. Harry Beresford missed an open goal from two yards and the keeper made a good save from Eddie Lewington when he could have done better. At the other end Boro carved out a couple of good openings only to find Karl Latchum in inspired form.

Town felt that their chance had gone after failing to capitalise on the wind advantage and changed shape at ha;f-time, dropping an extra man into midfield.

The plan was to let Boro have the ball, forcing them to play long and it almost worked. Town created more chance in the second period and took the lead on 60 minutes as Simpson fed Lewington who ran through and chipped the keeper.

Boro came back strong and scored two quick goals to take the lead. Town continued to hit their opponents on the break and on 75 mins Lewington passed to Simpson who found the top corner from 25 yards.

Both sides created chances to win in the 90 mins but it came down to the dreaded penalties.

Latchum saved the first and Simpson, Lewington and White all scored before the home keeper made a fantastic save from Turnbull to take it to sudden death. Allen scored but Galloway got under his kick means Rangers ran out 5-4 winners.

Richmond Mavericks also suffered penalty pain after their game against New Marske finished 1-1.

Andrew Pritchard got Mavs’ only goal.

In the league, Catterick Garrison enjoyed a good 5-1 win over Carperby, with Damian Hargreaves scoring four and Liam Walker also netting.

Carperby’s goal was scored by Mathew Bradley.

In the final game of the day, Spennithorne enjoyed a comfortable 8-1 win over Reeth.

Lee Davison scored an impressive six for Spenni, with George Shaw and Jake Gamble-Schofield also registering.



Carperby 1-5 Catterick Garrison

Spennithorne 8-1 Reeth

North Riding Cup

New Marske 1-1 Richmond Mavericks (Pens 4-3)

Nunthorpe 1-1 Unicorn (Pens 3-4)



Carperby v Hawes

Medals Shield

Catterick Garrison v Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks v Richmond Town Reserves